RXI 5054DX Expectations

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KI5BOM, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KI5BOM

KI5BOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have acquired the above transceiver 25 watt version. The back light does not work on the display, but works on the buttons. All seems to work ok, but I am only getting about 6.5 watts on FM and AM and about 12-15 watts whistling on LSB and USB. Measurement taken on a Bird 43 and dummy load. Is this output correct? Specs says 10 watts on FM, AM and 25 on SSB. Wonder if there is an issue with the finals? Looking to sell it, but want to repair or state any issues before.

Thanks.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You might check the power supply voltage (13.8Vdc is where most stuff is "rated") and be sure that voltage actually appears at the radio, not just at the power supply, when transmitting at full power.

3. KI5BOM

PS voltage is good with no sag. Newbe questions. Do power transistor weaken with age or just short out?
    Is there actually a 'drive' transistor for the finals? I can find no schematic on this one.

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Mods.dk shows a schematic for that rig. Might start there. :)

5. WJ4VA

WJ4VA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What slug are you using in the Bird? They are only guaranteed to +/- 5 or 10% based on the slug so that could be part of the issue at a lowish power level.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually not there, just a manual.

However, I found a post from over two years ago that I made on this same subject:
    rci.PNG

7. KI5BOM

I looked at the slug again, and I suspect that might be the issue. Its a 100-250MHz 25 watt. When I tested I just breezed by that with my mind on 2m...... Maybe indeed it is within specs. I wonder if a HF meter would show correctly?????

8. KI5BOM

OK tested on an Ameritron AWM 30B. 1.8-60 MHz. Same results. Not great accuracy as the meter is 0-100 watts. 10 watt is first tic and it measures a bit more than 1/2 of 10 watts. So I suspect the reading are close.

9. KI5BOM

Cannot locate that webpage. Thanks for trying though.