ad: AbAuRe-1

Rv wifi with flashing a linksys router

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD4YSH, May 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W5SAT

W5SAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting WiFi while driving is going to be nearly impossible. You simply wouldn't have time to acquire the signal and connect to the network before it was out of range. Completely impracticable.

Now, extending the range of your WiFi while parked that's another story. There is no need to do it the hard way of flashing a router to act as a repeater. Just get a USB WiFi adapter with an external antenna connection. I would recommend a high power WiFi adapter like an Alfa AWUS051NH or similar. Then you need an external antenna with an RP-SMA connector on it. Done. Assuming you're using a PC/Laptop for internet browsing. If using a phone, that's a different story and you're back to a repeater solution.

Oh, unless you parked right outside the Starbucks or whatever the omni probably isn't going to cut it. Even a fairly high gain (8 dB say) omni isn't going to cut it in most situations. You really want a directional antenna. I have LOTS of WiFi stuff around and have spent LOTS of time err... uhh.. "researching" WiFi connectivity and network vulnerabilities and can tell you what works and what doesn't.

However.... As somebody who has spent WAY too much time working with this sort of thing, I can tell you there aren't that many free open hotspots around and you seriously need to think about your net security when using these things. You would be well advised to use a VPN service when using any public WiFi. Or don't - depends on how much you like being hacked and having your credential stolen. I have spent literally hundreds of hours in airports and hotels monitoring open WiFi traffic - trust me on this one.

Anyway, if you need more details please let me know and I'll be glad to help out.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Using WiFi going down the road and expecting to get free signals will not work.

It will be out of range before it connects.

A cell phone that allows WiFi hotspot or tethering is the best answer. And it will be marginal too.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy if you are parked and I've done it at libraries, businesses (Mc D's, Village Inn, etc.), and truck stops. FYI

5. K8RFT

K8RFT Ham Member QRZ Page

It's too late to matter to the OP of this thread, but I can say from experience that you can flash DD-WRT firmware into a WRT54G and configure it as a repeater. But it pretty much needs to be a WRT54G version with more than 4 megs of memory and should have removable antennas. The newer versions, around V5 and higher can work but it's much harder. And the router configuration setup is not easy anyway. There are many online sites with directions, and those pages are long. One way to start is to search for "dd-wrt universal repeater." A better setup uses a script called "AutoAP" but those newer WRT54Gs can't use it.

I have set up WRT54G's with the repeater capability and a power cord to plug into the cigarette lighter socket to use sitting on the dashboard. An outside antenna would definitely be a good idea!

I hope these tips may help anyone out there who wants to try a "mobile wifi repeater" and is willing to invest the effort it will take.

Doug