Rv wifi with flashing a linksys router

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD4YSH, May 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been reading where you can take a linksys router flash the firmware and put router inside motor home leaving I think the right rubber duck antenna and running cable with outside omni direstional 2.4 gig antenna outside this will act as a repeater and pick up open wifi or wifi hotspots as you travel and you can use your laptop wireless inside motorhome. Is the dd-wrt firmware flash what I want to use, any help will be appreciated, thank you

73's

please email me at kd4ysh@yahoo.com

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why you need to flash it.

It will work as is.

If you Flash and hack the power setting you need better cooing for the Radio because it will overheat.

What model number and Version is it ?

Good Luck on your project.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It will gain considerable functionality with dd-wrt. But make sure it is actually supported first, or you 'brick' it.

I don't think any power settings have to be changed, it's just a change in the way it operates, which doesn't really affect the transmit duty cycle.

I have used dd-wrt, and it is really scary installing, but after that it's very impressive.

4. KA9JLM

I agree dd-wrt is great and does some cool things.

I have also worked on a few routers that were Flashed with the wrong version. Yes Bricks.

Lucky they have a Jtag port that you can tap into after you brick it. You just have to add the Jtag Header connector.

If you are going to use any Open WiFi connection, Good luck securing that.

Have Fun. Be Safe, Triple Check Versions.

5. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello and thank you, I have a v-8 and a v-6 and a v-2, I have a really nice 2.4 gig omni antenna and i think it would connect to the left antenna jack and leave the right rummer duck antenna. When I am driving I want to pick up and bring in open wifi sources and i thought I would have to create an access point or something of that nature. So you are saying it should work with the ready installed software without an internet source fed into by cable? Thank you again

KD4YSH

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, I don't think it will do that with the factory firmware. But maybe Don knows how to do it.

7. KA9JLM

I think I am the one that misunderstood.

I missed the part about connecting to any open network.

The only way it will work as-is, Is if you know the SSID of the open network that you want to connect to.

Connecting to any open network, Is really not the best thing to do, Even if it is free.

You may get more free stuff that you do not want.

Good Luck.

8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done it (dd_wrt) and used the router in an RV for field day. There's a script you can program into the router that makes it scan for an available link to repeat, but its pretty easy to go into the router setup and change the SSIDthat you want to use as the wifi repeater link.

If you save the backup file configuration, you can load it into the router and modify the settings to anything you want. When you are done load the original backup file back into the router to change it back to its original settings. You can create multiple backup files for creating various configuration profiles. Instead of changing the settings manually just load a backup file for your needs.

One thing i noticed with dd_wrt is that it doesnt always deal with ipv6 even if the router is designed to use it. Its a software limitation of dd_wrt. Make sure the version you are flashing into the router supports ipv6, if the router has ipv6 hardware capabilities otherwise it will only use ipv4.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

If your smartphone has a secure mobIe hotspot, you can use the wifi router to repeat it . The smartphone and wifi repeater can be encrypted with a password for added security.

10. KA9JLM

Why would you need to Tap into Open Networks, If you have a internet connection on your cell phone ?

I am confused.

And a bit slow.