RV TELESCOPING MAST

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD4YSH, Jun 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I built a 30 foot telescoping mast pole off the side of the reese hitch, I have installed multiple antennas and when fully retracted the ringo ranger and the 440 antenna give me mobile operation. Now when parked look out.......long range directional wifi and digital tv, omni wifi verticle, meshnet beam, hf, and more it really is the cats meow when you are out of wifi range and run aprs and packet to send and rec. email with RF, it rocks. I will post pic soon.

AL4Y likes this.
  2. N4ZAW

N4ZAW Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not even an RVer anymore, but I'm intrigued. You stated HF, do you operate on 40M with it? Of course, at 30Ft, the mast itself only needs to be insulated, and a 3' CB firestick added for a 'stinger' for it to be near resonant length... Add a few 33ft gnd radials, (the Rv could actually fill-in for a couple), and poof, There ya go, 40M!! Or isit 36Ft resonant length? Oh well, I forget right now, but either way, it's close.

Can't wait to see those pics.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought the 65 foot DX engineering aluminum mast and bolted it to the ladder. it telescopes fine and i use it with an external tuner on HF.

4. KE5UPL

KE5UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Used a tar heel-200 mounted on ladder and worked 80-10

5. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

photos please....

6. KE5UPL

KE5UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

No photos of tar heel on re, using clamps that came with antenna it mounted to the one inch hand rails on ladder grounded antenna to chassis as some ladders are not grounded.swr was not a problem on all bands worked great

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tiny antenna = tiny performance.

What's limiting people from installing full sized antennas on a parked RV?

Last time I checked the sky is located much higher than 4 feet above the roof of your RV.

Tar heel antennas are made for moving vehicles, not RV's. Think BIG!

N4ZAW likes this.
  8. EI3HA

EI3HA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi i use a spiderbeam 10m fibreglass pole, cable tied to my ladder on the rv with a resonate inverted 40m dipole , and a hf vertical 6 to 80 m with ldg tuner mounted on my bicycle rack .
    works great for me as all can be broken down and stored in van .

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

See the photos on my profile page. I made a drive-on mount out of old bed frames scrounged from the neighbor's garbage that will easily support a 20' metal telescoping mast with a big 2m Yagi and rotator, as well as a dipole. If I use a fiberglass mast, I can likely get 30-40' height for a dipole.