RV Park All band vertical ideas.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by K4MMB, Feb 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7VGW

K7VGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using an "L" antenna (1974 ARRL Antenna Handbook), rigged portable from a 28' Jackite pole bungee-cord strapped to our 9.5-ft truck camper ladder. A vertical leg of fifteen feet of insulated 14-ga wire hangs from the top of the telescoping pole; the horizontal leg is 15 feet of insulated 14-ga wire extended outward about 2 feet above the camper roof to a homebrew 12-foot two-section bamboo support which can be placed in any desired direction (even forward over the camper to the front of the truck to stay within the rig's 'footprint.') This 15-foot "up & outer" tunes from 40 to 10 meters, with an antenna tuner. It is feed with 300-ohm TV foam twinlead down the pole to a 4:1 balun at its base. An RG-8x coax leads into an outside compartment, up through a hole drilled under a seat cushion, to an MFJ-962d antenna tuner. This simple antenna system takes about 10 to 15 minutes to deploy once we park; it comes down and stows in a six-foot by eight-inch 'basement' space. I'm very pleased with both the simplicity (assuming one has a balun and tuner on hand), the compact footprint, and best of all, the apparent efficiency and (relatively) low angle component of the radiated signal. It's proving to be a good performer for us.

The original L antenna design called for 30-foot legs and would tune from 80 to 10. I built this version and suspended it 45-feet up from a fir tree in our limited space back yard. The compact footprint and good performance of this first version inspired me to build the 15-footer for our camper.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. K7QBW

K7QBW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Zero-Five 27' HOA vertical, you can see some of the pictures of the install on my QRZ page.