RV Park All band vertical ideas.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by K4MMB, Feb 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7VGW

K7VGW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using an "L" antenna (1974 ARRL Antenna Handbook), rigged portable from a 28' Jackite pole bungee-cord strapped to our 9.5-ft truck camper ladder. A vertical leg of fifteen feet of insulated 14-ga wire hangs from the top of the telescoping pole; the horizontal leg is 15 feet of insulated 14-ga wire extended outward about 2 feet above the camper roof to a homebrew 12-foot two-section bamboo support which can be placed in any desired direction (even forward over the camper to the front of the truck to stay within the rig's 'footprint.') This 15-foot "up & outer" tunes from 40 to 10 meters, with an antenna tuner. It is feed with 300-ohm TV foam twinlead down the pole to a 4:1 balun at its base. An RG-8x coax leads into an outside compartment, up through a hole drilled under a seat cushion, to an MFJ-962d antenna tuner. This simple antenna system takes about 10 to 15 minutes to deploy once we park; it comes down and stows in a six-foot by eight-inch 'basement' space. I'm very pleased with both the simplicity (assuming one has a balun and tuner on hand), the compact footprint, and best of all, the apparent efficiency and (relatively) low angle component of the radiated signal. It's proving to be a good performer for us.

The original L antenna design called for 30-foot legs and would tune from 80 to 10. I built this version and suspended it 45-feet up from a fir tree in our limited space back yard. The compact footprint and good performance of this first version inspired me to build the 15-footer for our camper.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    N8AFT and K0UO like this.
  2. K7QBW

K7QBW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Zero-Five 27' HOA vertical, you can see some of the pictures of the install on my QRZ page.

3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Scorpion 680 mounted on a ladder rack, I have four or five friends that use a pair of Scorpions mounted like a dipole on their RVs and they work fabulous.

The other vertical that many of the guys on the 40 meter 7155 morning group use, is a 35-foot push-up fiberglass mast attached to the ledder with about 45 ft of wire going to the top and extended out and back down to wherever you can tie it to. It might be to the front of the unit or a tree, basically this is an inverted L.
    The key to making these work is a good outdoor automatic antenna tuner tied right to the wire and grounded to the RV frame, this combination always works.

Good luck, and listen for the 7155 guys mid morning. They have run every conceivable type of antenna that you can find. But overall out of 20 or 30 rvers (most have been RVing for years) and are very active and you'll get the same answer I've just given you, for the best antenna. We work a lot of DX with those types of antennas even on 40m.
    I've seen thousands of setups over the years, in fact every year at Quartzsite Arizona for a week nearly a thousand hams gather and operate from their RVs.
    They normally do an antenna shoot out.

Remember, The BEST Antenna is one that's, "In the Air and on the Air".

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4VDR likes this.
  5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I USE 14 PIECES OF 3' ALUMINUM TUBING FROM DXE. WORKING WITH AN LDG YT-100 / FT857 QRO CW.
    THE BOTTOM PIECE FITS OVER A 1-1/4INCH PIPE MOUNTED TO FLOOR BRACKETED 2X6 PLANK I PARK MY TIRE ON.
    IT IS GOOD FOR 40M AND UP.
    ADD A 33' WIRE TO TOP, SHORT IT TO THE BASE WHEN NOT ON 80M. INV L OTHERWISE.
    MY RADIALS ARE 3 IN COUNT AND ODD LENGTHS 25' LONGEST.
    CHEAPER AND JUST AS EFFECTIVE AS A STORE BOUGHT VERT...

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like the vertical, it works really well, is quite adjustable, just loosen a hose clamp or two to adjust or fine tune if desired.
    BEST feature is the fact that it is on my own "property" so to speak... ;)
    It's not up in some tree where the property management may not agree with. Less trouble is good.
    I have under $200 in it all... The aluminum tubing is the big expense, an LDG 4:1 un un is under $35.
    Make sure when you order tubing that the vendor slides each piece into the other to be sure they don't make or find a dent.
    I got one piece with a small dent in it. Had to cut off about 6inch from my 3' piece I spent $13 for. They do not telescope dented.