ad: ProAudio-1

RV motorized Lift & Lay

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by WQ6N, Mar 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an older RV in which we had the roof done in Rhino Coat.
    I did not want to compromise the expensive roof so decided on a ladder mount.
    Making sure that one can step over the lift assy, I wanted it low as possible.
    It is a used unit and it didn't come will all the stainless 1-1/2 saddle clamps so I had to make do with what I had.
    I did create two middle brackets out of stainless pipe. This is where I wished that I had a hydraulic press and a drill press. No luck there so everything was done by hand. All the hardware is non-magnetic.
    Lift-n-Lay-RV-1_s.jpg Lift-n-Lay-RV-2_s.jpg Lift-n-Lay-RV-3_s.jpg

So far, I have had good reports. The RV metal frame works well but I did add 1 40m elevated radial. I can add more elevated radials as needed. It goes up and it goes down. I still need to make a nesting receiver for the antenna whip. That tall black pipe next to the ladder is a home brew 2in EMT pipe for a generator exhaust venturi. All the cables do come apart at the antenna base for transport.

I am curious what folks do with the maintenance of the actuator and pivot joints? Those actuators are not cheap.

Antenna: TH 100A-HP
    Antenna Controller: TurboTunerII
    IC-7200/SCS P4 Dragon in P3 mode.

K0UO and W7EDC like this.
  2. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks do yourselves a huge favor by cutting off the excess U-Bolt threads and capping the ends with Stainless Acorn nuts.
    That way you don't leave a blood trail on the RV roof and ladder. Those uncapped ends will cut you like a knife.
    I used a speed grinder and cut the ends about 1/4 inch. Filed the outer edge until the acorn nuts threaded into place.

I used Dow Corning 111 silicon to treat the actuator assembly. Wiped off any excess with a rag.

K0UO likes this.
  3. K2BKR

K2BKR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am just wondering if the signals wouldn't be better with radials and paying attention to ground straps etc running radials along the roof

4. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

I like to believe that the elevated radials do help. When parked, I usually try and put up at least one 66ft and maybe 1 or 2 33ft lengths. They are pretty high and not a personnel safety hazard. Grounding is always a challenge. I do have several clamps on the ladder. The RV frame is always a toss of the dice in sandy soil. Lots of sea water available at the beach.