RV HAM shack

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG7YTS, Nov 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just some further info since the OP is planning to live in an RV. Every RV owner should have some basic electrical testing equipment. Nothing fancy and nothing complex, but these items will give you enough information to know if you're getting decent power to the power post at the camp site. They're also essential for troubleshooting the 110vac portions of the RV's electrical system.

First is a simple pair of plug-in circuit testers. You need two of them, one for regular circuits and one for GFCI circuits. The test button on a GFCI outlet is fine for that outlet, but in RV's they tend to piggyback other outlets on a GFCI one. The only way to test those downstream outlets is with the GFCI version of the tester. You buy them in the electrical depart of most any hardware store or home improvement center. Here they are:

[​IMG]

The red tester is the one for ground fault. On the other side is a button for checking proper tripping when a ground fault occurs. Both testers have labels on them showing that the circuit problem is depending on the combination of lights that come on when the tester is plugged in. $10 to $15 for the both of them.

The multimeter is the other item that every RV owner should have. It can check voltages, both AC and DC in all ranges that would be found in an RV. And it it's continuity tester as well. I know you're all hams and that I should assume that all of you know all about simple multimeters and how to use them. But, as I've discovered since I got my ticket in 2014, there's an awful lot of disinformation and lack of basic knowledge in the ham community. Please don't be offended if you already know this stuff.

2. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

if you put a ladder on the back, strap a lawn chair to it. kids will climb any ladder they encounter