RV Antennas

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KE5IZ, Apr 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KE5IZ

KE5IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This perhaps is a mute point since I am new to the RV world. I have a 30' Class C. I have mounted a Hustler mobile antenna & a VHF/UHF both of which do perform well but the Hustler is definitely equal to a wire of sorts.

My answer to the long-stay hamming is the Ultimax 100 which is a 42' end fed wire with a load match at the connection point. I use the TS50S, an MFJ-4230MV Switching PS, and, if my memory is correct, an LDG antenna tuner that sits upon the TS50. The antenna works on every band that the radio will transmit. From a West Tennessee RV park I have been able to work Qatar, Moracco, etc. with the antenna mounted about 15' from the ground. It is really worth the $65!

Gary
    KE5IZ

2. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary,

I have had good luck with the PAR End-Fedz 10/20/40 antenna. It is limited to handling 25 watts but I've had great fun with it for phone, PSK31, and CW. I can deploy it very easily from my rig's ladder.
    Clayton
    W5PFG

3. KE5IZ

4. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice. The length should work well in many campsites.

5. KE5IZ

I have heard that the PARĀ“s are good as well. I made sure that the owner of the company who builds all of his commercial ants installed a ground post on the box. I have about a 20' length of wire that is attached to the ground lug. I then terminate the ground to the park's water line with a ground clamp. Tunes easily & transmits well for what it is. Without a doubt, an antenna that is a 1/2 wave of the band would be better, but I have the 100 & the Ultimax 8040 Bazooka from Ultimax both are well-built & perform amazingly well. It is a lot easier to string & to store 42' of wire as compared to a full 1/2 wave for 80 mtrs. Takes ten minutes or less to hang the ant from the RV's ladder to a close-by tree limb. I use parachute (black or camo) cord for the termination to the tree limb. I don't tie the cord to the tree or limb but tie an old window weight that is almost touching the ground. I've used a brick at times, for the same purpose. The weight is enough to keep the wire taught but allows movement during windy days. Another plus for the 100 is that unless you know that it is there it is hard to see! I have had kids ride their bikes under the ant & never noticed it. I would think that it would be a stealthy alternative for HOA's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.