RV Antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W4BLU, Jul 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4BLU

W4BLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've recently installed a CB radio in my RV to monitor road issues while traveling. The antenna was installed by the RV manufacturer (Tiffin) on a fiberglass roof. I'm unable to get below 3 when trying to reduce reflective power by using the stinger with the antenna. Any suggestions on how to reduce the SWR?

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of antenna - no info , no answers ?

3. W4BLU

W4BLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I knew what kind of antenna it is. No markings that I could find. Does have a spring base and I've extended the stinger out as far as possible.

4. KD0CAC

Dimensions , pictures ?
    Some antennas require radials , maybe the stinger is cut too short .
    The spring base , is most likely a added option & could be interfering , try without .
    If you know nothing about it , then you may have ended up with a damaged antenna ?

5. KC2PMM

KC2PMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My next door neighbor has a Tiffin Open Road Red, it's a diesel pusher, built on a freightliner bus chassis. His has a pair of antennas on the top near the front, they each have a small spring on them. I've never asked to put my Comet CAA 500 MK II on it to see where these guys are tuned, but at about 18" long or so, I'd suspect GMRS or FRS service would be about right.
    73, GL.
    Guy,
    KC2PMM

6. KD0CAC

Around that length for 1/4 wave is 2m .
    But if the small spring is an inductor , or part of a trap , coil at ham stick , could still be 2m 440 .

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any way you could look at the bottom of that fiberglass roof? See if there's some sort of metal being used as the 'groundplane'.

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

add a cointerpoise wire to the base, bond that to the aluminum ladder on the back of the rig.
    A jumper wire temporarily to do this will show wheater that's what is needed after re-ck the SWR...