ad: hrd-2

RV Antenna Mounting

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ6UFY, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I envy you, Dave. :) Sounds like a whole lotta fun. My wife and I are on a five year plan to buy an RV outright to do the same thing more or less. We're not at retirement age yet, but the last of the kids will be out of school after this school year, and we got to thinking about seriously downsizing. That's how we got to thinking about buying an RV.

I've been thinking about mounting issues myself, and really haven't come up with any ideas yet. I'm glad to see this forum though. Lots of great ideas here. Thanks, guys!

2. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobil HF is fun and challenging but, before you do anything read up on everything you can. Alan's (K0BG) site has some great information that should be followed closely. A "real" DC ground should be the goal along with getting the loading coil away from surrounding objects. I spent more effort on the mounting procedure and method to avoid greater losses. There are some very good antennas available but, mounting them poorly leads to poor performance and RF radiation can induce errors in computer managed vehicles. My mobile platform works quite well but, the mounting system is where the investment pays off.

WA6Q

3. KC8RL

KC8RL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

My wife and I are full-timers and have completed our third year. There are many of us who have had to figure out things like how to get on the air and how to get our mail. My advise is, "Do not attempt to re-invent the wheel. Someone has already solved most of you problems.

As far as ham radio goes, please feel free to view my ham station and antenna farm pictures on QRZ. E-mail is also posted.

73 and CUL

Dan KC8RL

4. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Daniel,

Thank you for directing my attention to your QRZed page. You have a fabulous setup in every respect. So far you take the award as far as design, and actually taking photos and posting them. I have a class A motorhome but have acquired some great ideas after having looked at your fifth wheel rig.

73 and safe travels!

5. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done! Nice RV as well.

6. K5XIT

K5XIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know what kind of RV ?? I have a diesel pusher coach and I attached a garage door track to the rear ladder with the door hanger and built a mount for the Hi-Q antenna. I use a quick disconnect and put the antenna on when parked, use the attached rope to pull the antenna to the top of the coach it works fine.

q

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.