ad: M2Ant-1

RV Antenna Mounting

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ6UFY, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

By next summer my wife and I will leave in an RV the People’s Republic of Kalifornia (Forever!) and travel the roads of America while it still exists. I would really like to hear what types of mounts and portable operations other RV operators are using.
    Pictures would be great.
    73s

2. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Screwdriver or "Motorized" antennas are popular. High Sierra used to be a popular brand but they arent made anymore. Hamcq.com has a PDF that has quite a few RV install photo's in the users manual. You could also look at Tarheel antenna's. MFJ also has the same type of antenna but the quality may be a bit below par

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Got to my web site's photo gallery, and look in the OTR & RV album for some ideas.

Unfortunately, most RVs just are conducive to mounting for a variety of reasons. But good luck on whatever you do.

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,
    I use a "OPEK HVT-400B" on my 30ft. Winnebago motor-home.
    It handles 120w & mounts
    in the receiver of the hitch on my motor-home.
    They make the "HVT-600" that covers 80-6m (including WARC bands).
    See it here...http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamantm/5066.html

5. KJ6UFY

KJ6UFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much for the link. - 73s

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to this site to view the various "hitch" mounts.
    check out the 3rd one down...http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hitch+antenna+mount:)

Some of those "ball" mounts work well too.
    Of course when you use the hitch for mounting an antenna on the R/V, you're 'grounded' to the frame of the R/V !!
    I'm very happy with the performance of my "HVT 400B" using my HW-9 or TenTec Century-21 (QRP) on cw with a tuner.

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Trailer hitch mounts are wonderful things, as the increase the ground losses a whole bunch.

8. W3US

W3US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are traveling in a 5th wheel, suggest mounting a Hamstick in the stake hole of your pick up. We've been mobile with this setup since May and it works great!

9. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

A few friends of mine use 5BTV's mounted on the rear bumpers of their RV's when parked at the campgrounds. They seem to work better than when they are using their screwdrivers. They also run the Ameritron 500 watt mobile amp. This set up works quite well for them.

10. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out my profile page where I have a picture that shows my antenna, the MFJ-1788 MagLoop mounted to my rear ladder using the Flag Pole Buddy. I use a 10' pipe for the mast making it about 18' to the top of the antenna. For the last year I have mounted the antenna horizontally on the mast and the noise level is around S1 to S2, but when mounted vertical it will be more like S5-S6. I think the antenna "talks" better when in the horizontal orientation. When traveling I do not leave the antenna mounted. Setup time is about 10 minutes.

Dan
    KJ6RGX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.