ad: Alphaant-1

Russell L. Sawyer, W2UJ SK March 21, 2016 Age 66

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Apr 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Russell L. Sawyer, W2UJ SK

SK March 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Russell L. Sawyer, 66, of Selkirk, died at home on March 21, 2016.
    Russ was born in Boston, on January 3, 1950. He was a son of the late Herbert F. and LaVerla (Matejka) Sawyer.
    He was a New York State motor vehicle inspector, a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and was president of the Amateur Radio Association.
    For a short period he worked at Crossroad Ford in Ravena.
    Russ was also self-employed, and he raised Siamese cats.

Survived by his sister Janice Beaudoin, brother Raymond Sawyer and sister Pamela Stevens of Acton Mass.

Relatives and friends are invited to attend a graveside ceremony at 11 a.m., on Saturday, April 2, in Stanton Hill Cemetery located on County Rd. 51 in New Baltimore.

Share condolences online at SimpleChoicesCremation.com

Funeral Home
    Simple Choices, Inc. Cremation Service
    218 2nd Ave.
    Troy, NY 12180
    (518) 435-8030
    Funeral Home Details
    Published in Albany Times Union on Mar. 31, 2016

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ti...pid=179465637&fhid=31108#sthash.KgqNbzTS.dpuf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Copied from Russ' QRZ Biography.

Hi and thanks for stopping by my QRZ page. I got my start in this wonderful hobby in 1963 when I sent away for the Short Wave Listener "call sign" - then issued by Popular Electronics magazine. This was at the same time I joined an activity club at my junior high school - called the "radio club". The leader of the club was a high school senior and he completely captured my imagination with his description of amateur radio. I was hooked! I 'aced' my novice exam, given at the high school and first got on the air as WN1AXB in November of 1963. Over the years, I've 'sampled' a lot of the different aspects that make this hobby so great - ragchewing, DXing, county hunting, field days, public service nets ... and they've all been enjoyable. 75 meters has always been my favorite band and currently I find myself spending a great deal of time on the 3905 Century Club net - nightly at 10PM Eastern Time on 3.902 I'm having a blast working on their many fine awards. Stop by and say 'hello'.

73, Russ

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. K2HAT

First time I met Russ was at a local "Car Show" at a local Drive In Movie Theater. I was walking around taking some photos,
    and was also carrying in my jeans pocket an HTX-202. I asked Russ if I may take a photo of him and his old Ford, he said take a photo of the car, but not me, please.

Then he said is that an old HTX-202?? I said yes, I am a newer Amateur Radio Operator. We got talking and he said he had been inactive for a while.
    I told Russ I had been having a lot of fun, and he should get back on the air. :)

We talked several different times and I am real glad I sent a QSL card, and have one of his as a reminder.

I am sorry to say that I did not know that Russ had cancer, and his demise was a sad surprise to learn of recently.

[​IMG]

LOL You can see he covered his face with his hand.

[​IMG]

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/2008show/08jericho/

3. K2HAT

Was thinking about Russ today, gone but not forgotten.

Found these comments on his Obituary Memories page....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I met Russ through amateur radio. He was always a gentleman on and off the air. Russ is, and always will be, missed.

Jerry KA2WQR

April 01, 2016
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I met Russ through Ham radio. He was very dedicated to this hobby and was a pleasure to be around. Will sure miss him....Pablo NN5G

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will miss hearing you on the airways. Rest in peace.
    Dave, KI4DFS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had the pleasure of meeting Russ a few months ago. I have talked to him for many years on the radio. It was a pleasure to call him a friend.

My condolences to his family and all that knew him.

W3ROG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    After many years of talking to Russ on the radio, I had the honor of meeting him in person a few days before his passing.He was kind, patient and a great person to know. My condolences to his family. 73 & 88 Russ may God Bless you.

Carli Drake N1CD
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Sincere Condolences to all who knew Russ.

I met Russ at the Jericho Drive In at a Car Show "Cruise" in 2008. We got talking and I found out he was an Amateur Radio Operator that was inactive. I was a relatively new "Ham" and suggested he get back into the hobby. :)

Not too long after that we talked on the "air" and he was glad to be enjoying the Amateur Radio Hobby again.

Russ had an Amateur Extra Class License the Highest Class available. His Call Sign was W2UJ.

W2UJ is Silent Key.

73 "OM" de K2HAT

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/n...d=58f3b25f-1c47-487c-a17a-0d1af2f39b43&page=4

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

==. ARRL-Flag-waving-.jpg
    a1 operators club W2UJ.jpg
    == A GOD REST HIS SOUL ORIGINAL.jpg
    ....========== A candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

5. K2HAT

5 years already... Gone but not forgotten.

73 OM de K2HAT now in Florida