ad: K6IOK-1

Rural California

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jan 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My best friend at El Camino College was a Brazilian mad man by the name of Sam DeMattos, who had this hot-rodded Brazilian made Volkswagen microbus. He explained that a Volkswagen is nothing but an ugly Porsche and you have to drive it like one to really appreciate it. Said that the torque curve had a double hump, and you had to run the RPM up to find the second hump. So anyway, we took this beastie down to Death Valley during spring break, and by golly, he was absolutely right. Pedal to the metal, this microbus was a screamin' demon. Sounded like you were going to launch a piston right through the cylinder head, but it just LOVED being driven like that. Anyhoo...had a blast driving through the desert at about 85 miles an hour...not another car in sight for practically the whole weekend.

p.s. Sam is now a big wig international sales dude at a big textile firm back east.

2. KM6POA

KM6POA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We live in the real Northern Cal, 7 hr drive North of SF. Hwy 96 is a scenic route used often by motorcyclists. The closest stoplight is 70 miles away. There are so few of us here that ALL politicians stay away and leave us be. I am third generation Californian, son 4th, GS 5th. Have lived in Tahoe, 20 miles from gate to Yosemite, Santa Cruz on the coast, and now in the Siskiyou Mountains. Would never dream of living elsewhere. I am new to ham radio but I am an old die hard Californian.

AF7XT and AB6RF like this.
  3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

As a child, we traveled from Arkansas over to Route 66 in Oklahoma, then Arizona, and on into Barstow. These trips were in the late 40's and early 50's. While young, I did remember that the California scenery was breathtaking. On one trip we built a snowman on July 4 in Colorado. One trip was to Los Angeles, another to San Francisco. Another memory is of the Paciific Coast Highway, as on that trip Dad and Mom decided to take a northern route, taking the Coast Highway down. The trip was in a 1949 Dodge sedan. A friend of my parents had invited us to go out with him and his wife--which was OK; there was enough room for 4 , a small boy, and luggage, What the fella didn't tell us, he had a relative wanting to come BACK to Arkansas with us--which was an overload. And he didn't inform us until we were already in Cali! That was 6 people and luggage.:( So we finished our business in California after a week and started back via Route 66, Kingman, AZ, across the desert to home. In the high mountains of CA (we DID take a few sightseeing detours, etc), the poor old 6 cyl Dodge was having a struggle; the sluggish Fluid Drive tranny wasn't helping, either.

Mr Douglas, the owner of the Dodge had become a bit grumpy as, in Nevada, since going out, he had sunk down in SALT while trying to take a picture and ruined new pair of wing tips. ARRRRGH!

Coming back, going up hill with the accelerator mashed to the floor, the car started making a "thumpety-bump, thumpety-bump" noise.

"What the heck is wrong with this car", Mr Douglas groused, "and why is it not picking speed?"

Dad replied, "Douglas, you've put too heavy a load on it, and that thumpety-bump is prob'ly the shocks worn out"!

Mr Douglas had to put on new shocks and a tire that had rubbed a place out because it was bottoming out on the frame, and he was extremely grumpy by this time. And the rest of us weren't exactly joyful, either. The car had no air conditioning (almost unheard of back then), it was very hot, crowded, and I had sit in the back floor or in Mom's lap. We had planned to stop at the Grand Canyon, but when Douglas approached the turn-off, he sailed past it with us hollering "WHOA, WHOA, YOU MISSED YOUR TURN!" He ignored us and sailed on at 65 per, completely ignoring us!:( From then on, the mood was sour, and all we wanted to do was get back to Yell County, AR.

Dad settled up with Douglas when we got home, and when he drove out of sight, he said, "I hope to never, ever take a trip with that bird again! Remind me to take the TRAIN!"

There were neat things about traveling thru California (and elsewhere, too). Lots of beautiful things to see! I even got to see Roy Rogers and Dale Evans on one trip.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you!

I'm a transplant from the east coast who moved here in 1988, so been here over 30 years now and love it.

But, I'm in L.A., mostly for the WX and "this is where the work is.":)

After relocating it was so easy to find a high-paying job it was kind of like rolling out of bed. But I really did move for the WX. I like warm and sunny every day.

We figured we can change almost anything about our lives, but darnnit we cannot change the weather!

KM6POA likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

CA is the third largest state for "area" but first for "population."

It's easy to see why.

I really love it here and we've only been to 55 of the 58 counties. One day, we'll hit the last three.

KM6POA likes this.
  6. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA,
    NOW GO HOME!

Hi hi!

7. WB2WIK

Been here over 30 years, so I am home.

I'm a "native" now, longer than anyone born in CA who is less than thirty years old.:p

KM6POA and WA7PRC like this.
  8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yer naturalized. :p