Rural California

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jan 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be great for radio if you live on top of one of the mountains.

Unfortunately, here in CA "most" of the good mountaintop locations are state or federal protected lands and nobody lives there -- but I know there are some exceptions.

2. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Indeed a very interesting & very longggggg article. Especially since I have been commuting and working out of town and up in the Central Valley. I certainly get a better idea of what I am looking at when I see miles and miles of agriculture driving up Hwy 99. It is no wonder that my #1 driving snack food staple just happen to be pistachios and/or almonds. I just never realized how much pomegranate was being produced commercially. I have however noticed the high price of those fruit in the market. Surely, the demands of the Resnick's own conglomeration has helped increase the value of such a high yielding fruit species. I am surprised they dont have more invested in the Southern California citrus industries. I would/could blame them for the prices of avocados too.

4. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ride CA2.

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a friend that had a mining claim and cabin on the east side of Onyx peak, we hit Quartzite, AZ with an ht, ran a 300' wire and killed it on field day. That's in the San Bernardino Mtns east of Lake Arrowhead.

6. KF5BCX

KF5BCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful land, amazing differences from coast to inland to mountains. Many fond memories as boy in Bay Area, when we walked through apricot orchards to get to school! "Hey son, don't be eating any of the fruit." " No sir." Unless it had just fallen ripe off the tree of course. Lived again there, in Cupertino, in the 80's while in the electronics industry and when the last grain elevator came down, that was the signal. Santa Clara Valley became Silicon Valley and it's not quite " Do You Know the Way To San Jose" land today. Shoulda kept the house, can't believe what it is worth today!

7. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, don't even bring up Greyhound/Trailways busses. :( I've two trips via bus and I don't EVER want to repeat the experience!
    My Dad was in the hospital in Washington, NC (yeah, there is such a place), and I had to leave my car with Mom in Plymouth, NC and return to Gastonia by bus. Mom and Dad would shortly return with my '61 Impala in a couple days. Mom dropped me off at the bus station at 8 AM for the long--and I DO mean long ride via Raleigh, Greensboro, then Charlotte. I swear (and did my share of swearing that day) that "express" bus turned every which-a-ways, stopped at every boonie village and hick gas station from Washington (NC) to Charlotte. The bus would approach a country intersection with a sign that said "Charlotte--176 miles--arrow pointing left, and WE'D turn RIGHT. AWAY from Charlotte! :confused: HUH??????????????????? Twist and turn, twist and turn, stop, pick up (I think we even got some chickens, too!:D) Thirteen hours I was on that dratted bus--thot I'd NEVER get home.

Then another time I caught Trailways out of Columbia, SC to Charlotte. I-77 was new then. This was to be a short "hop" of an hour or two.
    The driver wasn't very good. They didn't have cruise control, especially on busses, back then, and the driver would mash the gas...then let off. Mash it--let off. Mash the gas, let off. The passengers were rocking forward and back, forward and back. Might as well have been in a rocking chair!:( All of us were annoyed. I wanted to run up there and smack 'im!:D:D:D I wan't alone in that, either! We rocked back and forth all the way to Charlotte. That was my last trip by bus. I HATE it when somebody drives like that!

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

California is also home to some impressive railroad places....

Tehachapi Loop:

http://www.visittehachapi.com/play/555-tehachapi-loop.html#.WuHtT6SWzZw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehachapi_Loop

"The Tehachapi Loop is a 0.73 miles (1.17 km) long spiral, or helix, on the Union Pacific Railroad Mojave Subdivision through Tehachapi Pass, of the Tehachapi Mountains in Kern County, south-central California. The line connects Bakersfield and the San Joaquin Valley to Mojave in the Mojave Desert.

Rising at a steady two percent grade, the track gains 77 feet (23 m) in elevation in the Loop. Any train of more than 4,000 feet (1,200 m) long passes over itself going around the loop. At the bottom of the loop, the track passes through Tunnel 9, the ninth tunnel built as the railroad worked from Bakersfield.

The line, which sees an average of almost 40 trains each day, is one of the busiest single-track mainlines in the world. With its frequent trains and spectacular scenery, the Tehachapi Loop is one of the prime railfan areas in the country. In 1998 it was named a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and is designated California Historical Landmark #508."

Lots more videos on youtube.

Right up there with Horseshoe Curve.

Barstow Yard is one of the busiest in the USA:

KB4QAA likes this.
  9. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Also a nice big loop (Williams Loop, Union Pacific Line) up near Quincy, CA along Highway 70 and the Middle Fork of the Feather River. Also a big Wye near Keddie in the Feather River Canyon. Hiking along the railbed in the Feather River Canyon is a dangerous, yet scenic endeavor. A partner and I used to go dredging in the area back in the early 80's.

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Took several vacations to CA late wife had a brother in San Bruno and other relatives in that area . Favorite trip was going above Redding and whitewater rafting on the Trinity River.