Rural California

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jan 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

Highway 395 along the eastern side of the Sierra. Many, many great fishing places and lots of old mines, ghost town remnants, and of course some of the best mountain scenery. One of my favorite places has been exploring the Alabama Hills at the foot of Mt. Whitney. I have camped many times at the Whitney Portal / Lone Pine Campgrounds. In the early 60's, my father and I found the remnant of the fort used in Gunga Din. Many, many westerns and other movies have been filmed in that area.

Roger N6RGR

K6CLS and K9ASE like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. Bonanza was filmed near Lake Tahoe...though I think it was mainly on the Nevada side

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

http://humboldtredwoods.org/ Here is the extreme north end of the redwood forest

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oh yes, Owens Valley, so dramatic, so deep, so geological... here's to Rock Creek, Mono Pass, Bristlecone Pines, Convict Lake, hot springs everywhere... and all the favorite places you mentioned! many happy memories everywhere there.

it's an RF black hole though! barely any VHF/UHF repeater coverage, HF is terrible... probably why it's a great radio astronomy listening post. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owens_Valley_Radio_Observatory

5. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Born and raised in CA and a resident for 56 years before getting out of a state that is dying politically I will say that it has some of the most scenic ground in the USA. The rural parts of CA are actually the majority of the state. While I loved to travel 395 east of the Sierras with a view of Mt. Whitney to the west I agree it was a V/UHF black hole. On my many trips from SoCA to NE Oregon before we moved to Oregon I operated a lot of HF mobile. Never had a problem making contacts on HF. Of course that was in the '70s and '80s.

Best rural location I ever had was when we lived in the mountains west of Redding CA at the very edge of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. Second best HF QTH I have ever lived in. Seaside in Coronado, CA was the best. My present QTH near Baker City Oregon is in third place.

6. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best trips was riding my bicycle from Lake Tahoe over Highway 88 to Highway 89 and down Highway 395 to Valencia, California. My buddy and I took 7 days to do the ride. We went over Luther Pass, Monitor Pass, Conway Pass, and the Sherwin Grade. My bicycle speedometer actually pegged at 50 MPH going down Conway Pass to Owens Lake and Lee Vining. I burned through a set of brake pads!! The longest ride was from outside Mojave to outside Lancaster and to the old Sierra Highway paralleling a portion of Highway 14. We rode a 110 miles that day. The shortest day was riding Monitor Pass - 7 miles of the hardest uphill grind. At one point I had to walk my bicycle. As others have noted there are many places to visit throughout the Owens Valley. Hot Creek, Mammoth Mountain, Green Lakes, Bodie, Lee Vining Canyon, Hells Gate, the Owens River, Convict Lake, Manzanar, Big Pine, Bishop, Mazourka Canyon, and the White Mountains with the Bristlecone Pines. I have spent 40 years exploring that area and there is still places I want to go see.

Roger N6RGR

7. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

CA36. Best motorcycle road in the world.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to avoid certain things...
    [​IMG]

9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll second that!

K7WFM likes this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hwy-91! 55-Fwy, I-405, I-5, I-10, I-15, The 60 and 57 freeways, 605, 22, Fast Trac along with the Express Lanes ,,, I love LA