Rural California

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jan 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I was born n riz in Silly Cone Valley, I've lived in Alaska 2/3 of my life. However there are still a lot of lovely places in California....it's not all L.A., contrary to Hollywood. My last major road trip in California was doing the entire Highway 1 with a Ten Tec Argonaut in our Ford Topaz, back in around 1990. I forgot how LONG Highway 1 was....so if you plan on traversing California QUICKLY that's not the way to do it....but you should do it at least once....and do it with an HF rig, since you have the whole Pacific Ocean aiding and abetting your sigganulls. There are STILL huge tracts of farmland in central California, too, and once you get 100 miles north of San Francisco, there's still a lot of genuine wilderness. California is BIG....not as big as Alaska, of course, but there are still a lot of largely unexplored nooks and crannies. I do plan on doing a drive there in the not too distant future...possibly after Dayton.

Just so's y'all know.

WB7OXP and K9ASE like this.
  2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to love camping and fishing near Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta.
    One of my only regrets is having lived there so long and never visiting Yosemite.

3. KL7AJ

One of my earliest childhood memories was having our Volkswagen bus sprayed by a skunk.....and buying horehound drops at the lodge. So the combination of skunk and horehound drops is embedded in my spinal cord now. :)

K9ASE likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

5. KL7AJ

But the best place to hug trees is Big Basin....we camped there every year during my yute.

K9ASE likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gorgeous.

I like Sequoia NP even better. Nothing like letting the snow fall from the treetops onto your head from 300 feet above and then maybe taking the hike out to Moro Rock.
    upload_2018-1-16_15-15-43.jpeg upload_2018-1-16_15-16-33.jpeg

The drive up "General's Highway" alone is worth the trip from anywhere, but to really experience it you need to hike around a bit.

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Moro rock is amazing. I wonder if anyone ever activated SOTA there?

W6 is great for SOTA.

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if Cracker Barrel still sells Horehound??.....
    That was one of Mom's favorites...

9. W4KJG

W4KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1969 I had been drafted into the Navy. I had several days off and made quite a trip from San Francisco, via Greyhound, down 101 to visit a cousin in Monterey that was also drafted into the Navy at the same time as me. From there I went to see a close friend going to school in San Luis Obispo.

The trip South was uneventful but lots of fun.

The trip back to San Francisco made me never want to take another bus ride.

I somehow got back to San Francisco via several Greyhound buses going through central California, starting somewhere north of LA. I transferred in Bakersfield where we I got on a bus with people and chickens in cages. It seems like we stopped every few miles to let some chickens off the bus, and load more chickens. This was in the days before bus air conditioning.

It got better before we got to San Jose.

I remember having a Lafayette 6 meter portable transceiver with me. I think it may have been an AM rig. I know it was filled with eight or nine D-cell batteries that took up most of the case.

I'm not sure why I didn't use it to put out a MAYDAY call.

10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Pacific Coast Highway between SoCal and NorCal is a must drive. Lots of absolute isolation.