Running with bad SWR

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN6GVI, Feb 14, 2020 at 4:02 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KN6GVI

KN6GVI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm running Xiegu g90 with 2ow output on w/ a end fed sloper antenna at 80m I get 1.5-2 SWR will this break the radio.

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

No as that is a normal operating range.

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations less than 2 SWR is a good accomplishment and have fun on the AIR.
    You can always buy a tuner and get it to look perfect later.

The best Antenna is one that's "In the Air and On the Air."

K8BZ likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The documentation I found and read says the G90 has a built in antenna tuner.

K0UO likes this.
  6. KN6GVI

That is after using the tuner I have a 40-10m antenna.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Aha!

The 40-10m antenna "might" provide a mismatch of 40:1 on 80m (depends on the antenna, the coax length, etc) and that might potentially damage the tuner in the rig. I'd see what the manufacturer says about that.

Of course, you can luck into a better system (apparent) match if you use the right coax length, and maybe what the tuner sees isn't that bad.

In most cases, even if the tuner can find a match, using a 40m antenna on 80m is a very lossy system. Do people hear you?

KU4X likes this.
  8. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking the very same thing. Using a 40m end-fed on 80m is a non-starter and just begging for problems.

To the OP: How are you measuring the SWR? At what frequencies are you taking the SWR measurements? What kind of feed-line and what length are you using?

Regards,
    -Bruce

9. KN6GVI

yes but in state I don't think I will be using 80m there is lot of noise on 80

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is, and if what you're receiving is atmospheric noise (and not man-made RFI), that's actually a good thing as it implies your antenna is actually working!

Hearing almost no noise on 80m is generally a bad thing.:p

20W output to a compromised antenna on 80m is begging for "not many contacts," at least not on SSB.

Possibly on CW or FT8.