Running power to radio

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WX4WSD, Sep 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not familiar with the newer Rangers, but most pickup trucks (and cars) have plastic covers over the floor area transition where it covers the door threshold. These can be easily snapped out. There will be room under that to run your power wire and coax, if needed. I have installed over 100 radios in vehicles over the years and have never run a power wire external to the interior of the vehicle, that is just not a good idea. The only problem you may have is getting through the firewall, which can be tough on newer vehicles. You may need to consult a stereo shop, or your local radio installer.

What type of radio are you installing?

2. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm curious who holds the title to the vehicle: the OP or finance company?

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to K0BG.com

WN1MB likes this.
  4. WN1MB

Wow! What a tremendous resource. Thank you!

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not seen him post here in a long time.

Did he take a vacation trip back to Mars ?

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No he's in the Land of Enchantment!!!!

I'm sure he's doing okay I have a lot of friends where he lives at I talk to daily.
    I would have saw him at the Albuquerque hamfest a couple weeks ago/ but you know what happened to all the HamFest this past month!

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. WN1MB

Oh, but you could have seen him on the Virtual HamFest. Haven't you heard? They're all the rage! </sarcasm>

8. N3QIG

N3QIG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had no problems running two power lines on my 2020 F-150 XL.

On the passenger side there's a small (~1-2") rubber grommet on the firewall, about 18" in from the fender and the same down from the top of the firewall. If you remove the grommet, pulling it outward into the engine compartment, you'll see the cushioning/soundproofing mat. Take an awl or whatever to create a hole inward and downward. The mat is fairly dense, and about 1/2"-3/4" think. In the passenger foot area there's an easy to remove cosmetic cover for the base of the heater blower; best remove this for ease of next step. Once the mat is penetrated, a stiff (10-14 AWG) wire can be pushed through the mat and end up down at the passenger foot area. Connect your power wire(s) to this wire and pull the wires through. DON'T FORGET TO PUT A HOLE IN THE GROMMET AND PLACE PROPERLY ON THE POWER WIRES! Once through, the wires can be easily hidden along the side near the door.
    Good luck!

Mike, N3QIG

WN1MB likes this.
  9. SLOWMOVER

SLOWMOVER QRZ Member

ā€” On the back of the cab are ventilation openings.

ā€” Floor, under-seat,nas mentioned

ā€” Iā€™d run power thru starboard doorsill to & thru firewall.

See www.K0BG.com for best discussion on routing, wiregauge, hazards, etc

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

So why hasn't he posted anything in a long, long time? :confused: