Running power on Field Day

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KM4LKC, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO - it's not worth the trouble. Particularly if the amplifier is only a few hundred watts.

Think about it - in order for using power above 150 watts to be worthwhile, you'd have to make twice as many Qs. Will an amp REALLY make that happen?

KU4X and WA7PRC like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When was that the purpose? I've never seen that phrase ("simulate actual operating conditions in the event of a regional disaster") in any ARRL Field Day writeup.

3. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The argument "Not a contest" followed by 'low power is better because one can achieve a higher score' is self contradictory.
    Guys who are setting up local red cross or FEMA office, 'command center' style, benefit from experience dealing with the logistics of higher power operation in the non-contest. I'll be running 5 W battery, maybe add a human powered generator if I can get it going, from a vacant urban lot. Might see some rats!

N1DQQ and KC8VWM like this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,

Yes the attached spring loaded binding posts function as you suspected and the antenna wire length is fully adjustable for operation on any HF band. So the resulting portable antenna is a full size, no compromise, high performance design without the need for any antenna tuner.

binding post.jpg

Spring loaded binding post details. (Mil spec. # PB 08NA02 )

[​IMG]

The H frame you are inquiring about is originally intended for military portable operation and is officially called a "Dipole Fixture. " It's manufactured by the Hughes Aircraft Company and this military field manual diagram details what it's originally intended for...

dipole fixture.jpg

It was re-purposed / modified for amateur radio use and is available from from Fair Radio, in Lima Ohio, for around $8. Here's the dipole fixture product link: https://fairradio.com/product/dp-mk-911/

The shape of this H frame makes it easy to wind up and store the lightweight RG-316 feedline.

IMAG0863[1].jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    AH7I, KM4LKC and KU4X like this.
  6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One stated purpose of field day is to see what you are capable of doing in an unusual/emergency situation. What's possible for you now, and how you might improve things by knowing what you can't do now. That general idea has always been the basis for field day, of course it's fun too, that helps. What can you do in a "make-do" situation? This is one way of finding out. You have an 'emergency generator', but when was the last time you used it? Do you remember how? How 'bout the new guy? See where it's going? How do you make it so that people are willing to go to the effort? How about making it a 'competition'? The trick there is to keep people aware that it's the experience that's the prize...

AH7I and KA2IRQ like this.
  7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a "not a contest" that IS a contest. SOME ops descend upon FD with vicious adroit; other clubs see it as a simple social event. But if it is NOT a "contest," why then are there "scores:confused:?" In (many) years past, (If I recall) FD WAS a "contest." SO BE IT. Enjoy as you and your group/club see fit.:D

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

FD has evolved over the years. Use the point system as a way to judge your performance year over year. Or you can always make it a friendly competition between clubs.

KU3X and KB5AKO like this.