Running a New Rig

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, May 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I went ahead and did something foolish with all this spare time now, since I am teleworking. Purchased a Super Senior 80/40 and running 275W carrier. Chatted with AC0OB and others tonight on 40m with success. I am so behind on repairs to my various projects it ain't funny. That, combined with almost two years of health issues has changed my life priorities drastically (I am now fine).

As others have said, setting up the audio is the hard part if you don't run one of Bruce's boards with a D104. Using a 223 as the final box in the chain to good success....getting used to the many settings is the hard part, but I think I have it nailed with 120% peaks consistent with not one safety trip to baselining the carrier.

Still having fun but in a different way. I need to install the new mod iron in the 707, but the 800 lb Refrigerator O' Death ain't going anywhere.

Fleep KA4KOE

N6YW, AC0OB and KD2ACO like this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You sounded good tonight Fleep. There was a bit of fading between us but when your signal popped up out of the muck, it was very good.

KA4KOE likes this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, good to finally get to talk to you last night. :cool:

Some Background; On the 40 m group last night (started by Joe, N4RXV) Philip and Jay W5JAY were using their Super Seniors and even against lightning crashes and QSB, they were the strongest stations into Iowa.

Robert, W0VMC, about 200 miles NE of me in Wisconsin could be heard but not well and I suspect his signal was skipping over me. (Robert normally pegs the S meter into here on 75m).

Some others were heard but were not strong enough to communicate with.

I think the Bauer will sound awesome once back on the air.

Pheel

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    WA3VJB likes this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wondered why Joe was acting like everyone was a guest and he was the host! Because he helped organize the gathering! A couple weeks ago when I was on, he checked in with the QSO underway and seemed puzzled when I welcomed him! Ya just never know, these daggone nets springin' up like mushrooms in the yard.

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My understanding about Joe is this: After Joe retired he repaired and upgraded his HT-37 so he could do some serious AM again so he started getting on 7.290 Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights to "whip" up more AM activity.

Many people will get on early before Joe arrives and get the frequency warmed up, and then he makes an attempt to somewhat organize the group so everyone has a chance to comment.

I have also heard him on 75m.

He seems like a really good dude who is devoted to AM, JMHO. :)

Pheel

WD4IGX and WA3VJB like this.
  6. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm, sounds like I'm missing out on some AM Fun!
    I'll have to install the 40m coils in the transmitter and LCT, load it up, and check it out!

AC0OB and WA3VJB like this.
  7. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Philip are you sure your mod. iron is bad? How did you test it?

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a new old stock Icom 756 pro2 radio off ebay (very nice radio) and worked a co worker who just got his ticket
    about a month ago. 40 did not work, we were in the noise, but 80 was great.
    After that I listened on 40 and heard Joe calling CQ and fired up the homebrew.
    A nice group joined in, I heard everyone well.
    Joe is quite a fixture on 40 meters AM.

I have thought about the DYY rig for 40 and 80, its tempting to get one and ditch the big old tube homebrew stuff.

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Brett it was nice to work you on 7291 Wednesday night. Seems like you've been missing from the bands the past couple months. Your trio of 4D32s was cranking quite a signal into here. Especially enjoyed your comment about my audio problem.

10. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you sound better then a sw broadcast station, you have to expect mistakes.