Running a mic in parallel to a signalink... Possible?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD2QQF, Apr 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio's an Alinco DR-112T. Signalink is connected via the mic connector on the front.

I've been trying to participate in a weekly 2m digital training net via an FM repeater. It jumps back and forth between various digital modes(mostly computer files via FLdigi) and voice. My plan was to use an HT for voice, but I couldn't hear anything on the HT in the shack. Only have 1 antenna up and that's all the landlord will allow so can't set up a second radio.

Ordered a Signalink which arrived Thursday and was able to recieve some stuff last night, and listen in via the mon connection on the signalink.

Is there a way to connect a mic in to the radio at the same time as the signalink?

I was thinking either a Y cable splitting the radio mic connector to a mic and the signalink, but don't think that'd work as I'd be getting a signal from both the signalink and mic any time I keyed the mic. If I built a relay box, triggered by the PTT switch of whichever triggered PTT, that may work.

The other option I can see is hooking a mic into the computer and setting the computer to output the mic to the signalink audio out, but then I run into unwanted PTT issues as it'd be like having full time VOX.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-4-25_10-13-18.jpeg

KD2QQF likes this.
  3. AC9NQ

AC9NQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used ab RJ45 a/b switch box.

KC3RN and KD2QQF like this.
  4. KA9JLM

That could work also, If you build cables to convert to a round mic connector. (3X connection problems.)

The round mic connector is way more reliable than a RJ-45.

I would build a box and use a multiple pole switch.

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the MFJ-125x- series switch boxes for AX.25 ( amateur packet radio and APRS ) would work, with a caution that getting the correct one for your current microphone and signallink is often critical. The early ( non-radio specific ) types had jumpers inside, which are O.K. as long as you either have the instruction manual or a lot of patience and understanding of wiring diagrams. Many of the MFJ switch boxes are no longer produced, thus you might have to find a 'pre-owned' box- the usual new radio suppliers sometimes have these on their lists of 'used' and 'demonstration' equipment. You might actually save time just ordering the parts from a company like Digi-Key or Mouser and building your own- yet the cost may be a bit higher. Typically you will only need to switch 5 of the 8 conductors in a round microphone connector, so a 2-position 6-pole ( usually 2 decks ) switch would suffice. The only issue most encounter with switches is making the right 'shaped' hole or holes for mounting. Patience and a 'dremel' tool can avoid the problem of a switch mounting that allows the switch to rotate, rather than actually switch.

6. KD2QQF

That's what I was getting at by my relay option. It I used a PTT signal from one source(secondary connection), I could have one mic/signalink input connected full time and when the second PTT triggered the relays it would switch to the second input. Not aure on how exactly I'd wire that up. My setup only uses 4 wires through the signalink((2)ground), PTT, and mic in), so 4 relays switching the signal, plus probably an 5th to switch inputs. That's using STDP relays, like a vehicle uses(5 pins). I'd source come non-automotive version though for PCB mounting.

7. KA9JLM

You are wanting to complicate things.

There is no need to switch ground, So a 4 pole switch (Or relay) sounds like it would work. Flipping a switch is easy for me.

You can not use both at the same time. Is that what you are trying to do ? Automagic ?

Maybe I am confused. (Well I am. I wont lie.)

Have Fun with your project.

8. KD2QQF

Not trying to use both at the same exact time, but rather have the PTT on either input automatically trigger the switch from one input to the other. i.e. I can send a digital transmission, then pick up the mic and talk once its done. The other part of the plan is to be able to leave everything set up all the time, and just push the signalink power and be able to do digital.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Of course you can. Oh, you want it to work?

I don't know.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KD2QQF likes this.
  10. KD2QQF

My only "I don't know if it'll work" problem is getting the PTT signal from 1 of the inputs to operate the switching relay, while still operating the PTT on the radio as well.