ad: Bamatech-1

Running a halo antenna in a mobile installation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BUS, Aug 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking of trying out or testing a halo antenna in a mobile installation, but wasn't sure which band a halo antenna would be most appropriate for in a mobile installation, especially since I have a medium-smallish sized car. I also wasn't sure if the halo ring element itself needed to be a minimum certain distance above the cars metal roof or body or no. I have a medium-small sized car, so I was thinking of trying to use a three or four magnet mount in the middle of the roof for it. I even thought about trying a 10 meter halo antenna, but thought that might be a bit large in a mobile installation, unless I kept it in the cars trunk or inside the back seat and deployed it when the car was parked stationary as a kind of "stationary mobile operation". I'm also not sure where I would obtain a halo antenna, as I currently have no shop, extensive tools or antenna building skills. So making my own is out of the question.
    Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

A 6 meter halo is about as big as I would go.
    The bracket is the most difficult part.

Here is a series of excellent building guides that don't really require a shop or extensive tools.

https://w3dhj.net/6mhalo.html

K3RW likes this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. In past years, I have used a 10 meter loop, but they're awkward, heavy, and wind really effects them. A six meter one is much easier to handle. I've put over 70,000 one a M2 six meter loop, with only occasionally tightening things up.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

6m and 10m would get you some daily contacts. Not as many on 2m, unless it was a contest weekend.

5. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a minimum distance the halo part needs to be above the metal car body in order to work properly?

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as possible! In most cases, the loops should be turned to provide a minimum of sheetmetal under the loop. If not, they're nearly impossible to tune.

If you have a study enough mounting, and local clearance isn't too harsh, a stacked pair end up having less issues with surrounding sheet metal. But you still need as much clearance as possible. Read the data here from M-Squared: http://www.m2inc.com/FG6MHOLOOP