ad: NI4L-2

Running 117 vac amp with power inverter

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KJ4QNL, Nov 10, 2018 at 6:13 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4QNL

KJ4QNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to work 40 meters at deer camp using a 300-A palomar amplifier with a 2000 watt power inverter, hoping to get at least 200 watts. Will it work with 2 -12 volt batteries connected in parallel?
    Thanks
    Kyle
    KJ4QNL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say why not try it and let us know?

I'm sure it depends on the actual batteries; batteries work better in series than in parallel, unless they are very well matched batteries, but shouldn't hurt anything.

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Somthing I mentioned on another post is to consider a solar panel hooked up to the battery. I tried one of these a few years ago and was suprised at how much power one of therse produced in direct sunlight.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

What size batteries? What duty cycle on the radio? What brand of inverter? Is this a modified sine inverter or a pure sine inverter? I would be very cautious trying to run an amp on a modified sine inverter.
    Generally, yes, you can use batteries to power and inverter and run an amp. The question is for how long.

5. WB2WIK

That amp has a built-in AC to DC power supply and may not care about sine wave vs. not; however in general batteries in parallel will never have double the capacity of one battery unless they are truly identical designs and SOC.

Sometimes it pays to just "try it" and see what happens.

One BIG battery is generally better than two smaller ones in parallel. My fave for delivering a lot of power for a long time is a surplus Army tank battery. It's 12V, but about 4x the capacity of a car/truck battery (also a lot heavier, so this is not a "carry it around by hand" device, at least not for long or far) and I've run Field Days with a 100W rig transmitting a lot of time for 24 hours and it lasted through that just fine with almost no change in terminal voltage. A car battery can't do that.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Be VERY careful if you connect all together, without a charge controller for the solar panel! If the battery becomes disconnected, while the solar panel and amp (or other equipment) is/are still connected together, you stand a chance of letting the smoke out of the amp. Such would definitely destroy a H-T or transceiver. Solar panels can reach 20 Volts or more; most amateur equipment has a maximum voltage of 16 Volts. Most inverters are likewise not able to accommodate input voltage much above 16 Volts.

7. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be better served by finding a small solid state amp. There are so many inefficiencies in a operating tube amp on dc.

8. WB2WIK

Actually, not many today.

Most 12V - 120Vac inverters today are in the 90% efficient range, so you only sacrifice about 10% of the battery power.

However, some can generate RFI which impacts receiver performance, so we have to be careful about that.

9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, but tube amps also have filament transformers and HV supplies and fans that run whether you're transmitting or not. Those are the killers.

Totally agree, however, that inverter technology has come a long way.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

One problem with running a amp on a inverter, Is when the amp talks to the inverter on the power lines.

Have Fun. Use a fuse and carry a spare(s).