ad: wmr-1

RUMlogNG with IC-7200 running CW

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by NR2NR, Jun 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. NR2NR

NR2NR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have RUMlogNG working well with WSJT-X and an IC-7200 using a single USB cable between the radio and MacBook Pro.

However, when I move from other digital modes (WSJT-X) to run CW, I was hoping to get a configuration going with RUMlog and the IC-7200 similar to that of "CT" contest software. That is, I want to be able to populate RUMlog with spots (I can do this already), autotune the IC-7200 to the spots (I can do this already), and then use the computer keyboard to operate the CW, type CW, etc. (I CANNOT DO THIS).

My question is, is that possible to get the CW typing going using just the USB interconnect? Or do I need to add additional modules/hardware/software?

Is there something special that I need to do with regard to the software configuration?

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think your radio has the type of keyer that RUMlog(NG) supports, which is a K1EL command set, requiring you to obtain a K1EL keyer or similar emulated external box. Typically, these external units are USB connected and output to the CW jack on the rear of your rig (turn the internal keyer off).

Fortunately DL2RUM monitors this forum ...

3. DL2RUM

DL2RUM Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-7200 doesn't allow us to use the internal CW keyer or play a CW memory via CAT. It's recommended to use an external CW keyer with a K1EL Winkey chip. (or a derivate)

4. NR2NR

The nice thing about the current arrangement is that I can use a single USB cable between the rig and the computer.

So the interconnection goes like this:
    1. Computer (USB Port 1) <> IC-7200(USB) ==> Already well-supports the WSJX-T with RUMLog(NG).
    2. Computer (PORT XYZ) <> IC-7200 (rear key female jack)
    QUESTION 1:
    What is the likely interconnect for the computer to the K1EL Winkey chip?, would PORT XYZ be USB Port 2? (I thought I cannot drive the IC-7200 via USB through a USB hub). I know that there was a special driver to have the computer interface with the IC-7200.

QUESTION 2:
    If the USB will be the way to go, Is there a requirement for another driver specific to the K1EL Winkey device?

QUESTION 3:
    Is there a simple interface option, some sort of adapter, rather than purchasing a full Keyer, that will provide adequate support for "K1EL Winkey" compatible interfacing between the computer and the IC-7200? Or is the only practical way a full keyer?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. NR2NR