Rugged Radio ABM25 Issue

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI5IVZ, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5IVZ

KI5IVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello:

I am new to the HAM radio world and once i passed my test back in April I been listing everyday to learn and get used to the HAM radio language ( 146.940). I will love to make my first contact but I cant the radio to work and I am positive its the programming. I can not find anywhere to how manually program it. I am locate in Houston and any help will be greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much.

2. KI5IVZ

It was a gift as my first radio and I installed in my rig. For whatever reason I heard the repeater but they can't hear me. I am new to this hobby and I can't wait to make my first contact if i can make the radio work. Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

Attached Files:

• 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Paulo,

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of amateur radio.

If your radio does not lend itself to easy manual programming, it is best to splurge on some programming software. In fact, most newer radios are much easier to program via software than trying to do so manually.

RT Systems has the material you need to program your radio:

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/RRS-ABM25-programming-software-and-USB-cable-s/2827.htm

You will also need to know the repeaters available in your area. My quick search for Houston, TX repeaters did not show one with a 146.940 MHz output.

In summary:
    1) Make sure you have the instruction manual for your radio.
    2) Find the repeaters you want to be able to access with your radio.
    3) Get the appropriate radio programming material.

And in closing:
    1) Investigate and consider joining a local radio club.
    2) Do not capitalize the word ham. It is not an acronym.

Again, welcome to the ham radio world!

Regards,
    -Bruce

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Possible reasons are improper PL tone on TX, improper offset (or no offset), bad microphone, bad antenna, bad radio. If you have a way to listen to your TX, like a handheld or another mobile, make sure you can hear yourself on the repeater input channel. Or find another local ham to listen for you. In any event, most likely a programming error. Good luck!

5. KI5IVZ

Thank you so much for your reply and words of advice. I will check on all of that and keep you guys post it.