Rubber Ducky is a Stripper - How to Fix

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N8FPY, Nov 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FPY

N8FPY Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT70D’s rubber ducky shed its rubber cover. It’s easy to push back on, but what is the best glue to use to fix this?

2. SPEEDSKATER

SPEEDSKATER QRZ Member

maybe automobile windshield sealant or wetsuit cement.

3. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd try good 'ol black RTV silicone.

K8AI likes this.
  4. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Shrink tubing.

AG5DB, W9KEY, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

$20 bill wrapped around it and take it to HRO to replace it, works great.

KA3CNC, ND6M, WR2E and 1 other person like this.
  6. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly for your application since you're re-using the cover, but for re-coating or just "beefing up" those really thin wire portable antennas, I've had EXTREMELY good luck with that stuff you buy in a can to dip tools. "Plasti Dip" is what I used, I think. I've done several rubber duckies and a few experimental helical mobile antennas and have been surprised at how long it lasts. You can do as many applications as you need to get the thickness you want. I usually dip the whole antenna once, let dry, than dip just the lower portion, maybe twice, to get it a little thicker at the bottom.

7. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Reading above, I'd avoid RTV silicone, unless you have the stuff specifically made for electrical use (around copper wires). Most are not electronics grade and therefore not suitable - the stuff with a vinegar smell gives off acetic acid which if not well vented can damage / attack copper. I like the suggestion for a nice long piece of shrink tubing. Even if it doesn't work perfectly or maybe gets a wrinkle in it - it's pretty easy to cut off and re-do (unless you use the marine type with internal adhesive, which would NOT be easy to remove, but might be more water resistant).

AK5B likes this.
  8. N8FPY

N8FPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I called Yeasu and they were clueless as to what would work. They said to just send it back for an exchange. It is only a couple months old, so I might.

9. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would strip all the old rubber off and put a new piece of new heat shrink tubing on it.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Rubber Duck is not a handle. :D