RTTY with Icom IC7300 and external keyboard

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WF9Q, Aug 21, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WF9Q

WF9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found the memory keys and have programmed them using the touch screen. Problem is where do I connect the external keyboard when the contact requires information other than what is pre programmed.

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your computer rather than the keyboard

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking through the manual I do not see anything about using an eternal keyboard with the 7300. That does not impress me!
    It makes using the rig alone for RTTY limited to short DXing types of contacts with just a 599 type of exchange or what you can program into memories.
    You would have to use your computer and a soundcard program for RTTY for more spontaneous conversations. The problem with that is you may not be able to use some more advanced RTTY filtering features of the radio.

I have the 7600 and spend a good share of time on RTTY. For DXing contacts and pileups I just use the radio. Although I have an external keyboard for it, for more conversational contacts and contests I use the computer and it's keyboard with MixW. I rarely use the external keyboard.

4. WF9Q

Exactly, I read the book to and could not find it and just could not imagine Icom would leave out something that important so I had to ask. I bet they will offer the keyboard option on a new version they perceive as the next step up.......

I do and it is lame, way too much BS and not enough focus on what you are actually trying to do. At this point in my life the computer screen is in front of me most of the day, LAST thing I want to do is be in front of a monitor while doing my HOBBY. The computer logbook logging was really cool and neat and now........my thoughts are going back old school and log in the book using an actual pen.

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.google.com/patents/US5566205
    I would have expected the patent covering keyboards connected to radios to expire next month. It lapsed over a decade ago when the patent holder failed to pay the required fees.

Zack WVT

6. K4EZZ

K4EZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever find a keyboard or keyboard connection for the 7300? I did find this in the full manual and it says you can enter 70 characters for rtty using the built in keyboard. I just got my 7300 and have just scratched the surface of setting things up.

Attached Files:

7. WF9Q

Unfortunately, no. That onboard keyboard is fine for programming the pre-canned messages, it takes too long to use it live. One thing I just discovered is to run the entire rig via USB and dump the interface. HRD is now able to decode the CW very well using the USB direct to the 7300, it was pretty lame before using the interface. HRD is now a little flaky using rig control because it briefly shows another frequency/band then quickly goes back to where it was originally....

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just use MMTTY on a computer and forget the keyboard. Better decoding and macros ready to send. MMTTY is great!!

WA9UAA likes this.
  9. AI6XN

AI6XN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually I found HRD decoding really needs to improve for CW and it truly sucks for RTTY or PSK. It works far better for Olivia or Thor.

10. W8EIR

W8EIR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can build an external keypad from the schematic on page 18-3 in the extended manual for 7300. It will launch the programmed memory keys you mentioned. Works with CW and phone as well. I use MMTTY, great lightweight app for sending FSK RTTY on the 7300.