RTTY Via FT-950 using DM780

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K7JSM, Dec 12, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JSM

K7JSM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any RTTY fans out there that know how to get a FT-950 to work in this mode? I'm using HRD to control the CAT (PTT) on the rig. Then I'm using two audio lines, in and out via transformers to the 6 pin din on the back of the rig and to the computer.

To no avail...

This shouldn't be that hard. No... I don't want to order a SignalLink or any other box. I know this should work. :) Just not why it isn't.

Thanks for you assistance.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the mode set to RTTY or PKT?

3. K7JSM

When in RTTY / PKT, we get the best results. It seems the Data connector receive is working in that mode.
    We also have read a bunch of threads telling users to be in usb. That doesn't seem to work at all.

4. K7JSM

However, when in RTTY/PKT, WSJT-X doesn't seem to decode the audio...

5. K7JSM

Nor DM-780

6. KK5JY

Well, RTTY is generally done in LSB.

WSJT-X modes are generally done in USB by default. That's true of most non-RTTY modes, too. That should be possible with the 950, too, you just have to push the RTTY/PKT enough times (according to the manual, anyway).

Most of the modes in HRD or Fldigi should also be able to operate "upside down" when in LSB, by clicking the REV or "reverse" button. I believe WSJT-X assumes only USB.

7. K7JSM

For example; I'm listening to a RTTY conversation on 40m currently. I can't get DM780 to decode it. I have tried reversing and what not. To no avail. Yet the audio bar shows it is seeing the audio.

8. KK5JY

That's interesting. Is it an amateur RTTY transmission you are viewing?

Much of the RTTY found outside the ham bands is a different format.

9. K7JSM

I'm pretty sure. I'm listening to both parties transmit back and forth. 7.082

10. KK5JY

Wow, you have me stumped. As long as the radio is in any USB mode, DM780 should be able to decode normal amateur RTTY, +/- the "reverse" setting of course, especially if you can see the railroad tracks in the waterfall.