ad: elecraft

RTTY on FM?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NC4JB, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone feel the need to bash a keyboard when they can speak ten times quicker, and its cheaper ?

G0GQK

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Becasue there are far fewer lids on the digital modes.

3. KF4ZHL

KF4ZHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that, the whole point is setting it up and making it work. Had I the money and the time at the moment, I would set up digital modes as well! As it stands, I'm barely getting the mobile stuff together.

The next step is the HF rig. Then digital!

4. AE5TE

AE5TE Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the '80s I played with RTTY on 220MHz FM. With a mobile rig use low power and you probably don't even want to try it with a HT - keydown times are gonna be way out there. And you still never know what can happen. I discovered the RX audio amp on a IC-37A is powered through a too small limiting resistor (1/8 Watt or something like that) - fried itself in the middle of a file transfer, because at that stage even in a FM rig you're up against that "continuous duty" thing pushing the design limits of a rig built for phone. Fortunately the trouble was easy to find and fix. Back then, Crap Shack still had parts and a new 1/4 Watt resistor took care of it.

5. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran rtty through the local 2 meter repeater with several locals interested...no big deal at the time i owned the repeater.."lol".

73, John WR8D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.