ad: ProAudio-1

RTTY - No Decode on FTdx3000. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4MU, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay. I admit it. I'm a dinosaur but I just bought this 3000 and want to decode RTTY. I know the setups by heart. I see them in my sleep. The receiver is great! It decodes CW (so does my head), and I even caught a PSK31 yesterday. Try to decode RTTY...Nope!
    If I use (per manual) "RTTY-LSB" mode and painstakingly adjust the mark (etc) I get garbage. If I change mode to "DATA LSB" I can decode fine. In DATA mode the "mark" freq shows on the FFT at about 1000 Hz instead of about 2100Hz (RTTY Mode). Caveat: I am assuming that most RTTY is still on LSB, mark at 2175 and 170 shift...Right? Haven't done it for years. That's what I'm set up for. Tried all kinds of combos but "no joy". Please enlighten me!

2. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

UPDATE: I am not crazy. (Well, maybe a little bit). I tuned in the ARRL baudot transmission tonight (that I know for sure is 45.45) and wha-laa, the 3000 decoded it just great. So that begs the question: Just what are today's most popular baud rates and/or shifts? It's been a long time since I was on RTTY and back then 45.45 and 170 was it. Thanks for any insights.

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

45 should be good for Ham RTTY. I have not tried the RTTY decode myself but the CW and PSK work OK. I use DM780 for RTTY TX/RX. When I use DM780 ( or any digital soundcard mode ) I use DATA-USB...