RTL SDR on ipad?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by M6AGL, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes my mistake.
    As Roy said, it's SDRTouch with the RTL-SDR Driver (that ports RTL-TCP to Android for the RTL2832u)

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

RTL-TCP requires a server running. Then a TCP/IP connection to that server.

3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea I know that does not sound right since TCP is a network protocol, but that's what the description says.

4. KA9JLM

You could use 127.0.0.1:1234 Local Host

But the device would have to support the hardware, And Ipad don't. Yet, Unless I am missing something.

upload_2019-10-8_7-24-58.png

Android seems to be the way to go.

5. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not via direct connection (as an iPad or iOS device does not support arbitrary USB profiles), but via rtl_tcp from a server, such as a Raspberry Pi, which serves as the USB RTL-SDR peripheral to WiFi (or ethernet via Lightning) adapter for an iPad.

There are two SDR apps in the Apple iOS App Store that support using rtl_tcp to connect to an RTL-SDR (disclaimer, one of them is mine):

rtl_tcp SDR, by N6YWU : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rtl-tcp-sdr/id1351164646

and

SDR Receiver, by WB2ISS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sdr-receiver/id1289939888

Enjoy.

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. M6AGL

M6AGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've decided to bin this project until such time that a suitable windows based tablet comes my way.
    I've even considered an Android car head display unit that could possibly run it as an app, but I just don't like the Android display and functionality at the moment.

The original concept was to have a power case that housed 3x 18650 6x cell battery packs and had solar cells on the outside to supply power, a tablet and sdr radio combination, and room for wire antennas and headphones.
    But what I ended up with was an out of date android tablet that wouldn't accept the radio input, would not measure the battery pack properly or charge it, and another Ipad that would be a knightmare to confiure via a third party Raspberry pi, and the end result of either is not what I was aiming at.
    Plus I'm a ham and couldn't even transmit with it, so after getting good signals if out and about I couldn't reply with it.

I think the next step is to get the power case working on it's own as a charger, then wait for a tablet. I have the battery packs, connectors, case and panels, so could at least use it for portable power.

Plus this field is expanding so quickly both in the amateur development and commercial products.
    I have been looking at the mcHF SDR kit, as well as the Icom IC-705. I get the feeling that there will be many more in the line up very soon.

7. KA9JLM

I think you would be better off with a Android tablet.

Every Windows phone and tablet that I have bought has been short lived. I will never make that mistake again.

Best place to fine a Windows based tablet for cheap is in the trash. o_O

Good Luck.

8. K1LPI

K1LPI Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a very good solution for you. Use a raspberry pi as a RTL_TCP server. The pi uses your LAN on wifi or bluetooth to send data to the iPAD. Plug a cheap RTL-SDR dongle into the Pi. Run rtl_tcp on the pi.

Download the SDR-Receiver app from the App;e APP Store. Once installed you can control the pi and the dongle from the iPAD (or iPHONE). The APP is a full blown SDR program. Presently it has demodulators and filters for AM, NFM and WFM signals. SDR Receiver is written by Barry Medoff, Ph.D., WB2ISS

You can also use the APP RTL-TCP SDR which has demodulators for am, cw, usb, lsb, nfm, and wfm. It also has an FFT waterfall display. This app is written by Ron Nicholson Jr. N6YWU

Both apps come with help pages to help you set up the pi as the server. I have both running on my iPhone and iPAD. If you have a windows machine or a Mac they can also be used as servers running rtl_tcp.

73 de K1LPI

DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in these programs. I am a beta tester for both.