RTL SDR on ipad?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by M6AGL, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. M6AGL

M6AGL Ham Member QRZ Page

As usual, nothing is easy, Or rather I seem to choose the hard way of doing things.

I'm enjoying using an RTL SDR kit I built via a laptop, but as the receiver itself is so small I would like to have a more portable smaller display, and longer battery life.

I started with an android tablet that has battery issues, and I now have an older iPad mini that I can use - but it uses a lightning connector.

Is it possible to get an RTL based SDR to display on an ipad?
    I know you can get a a usb socket adaptor for the lightning socket, just I have not seen or head of any successes.

The alternative is something via bluetooth but I'm trying to avoid extra headaches.

The simple answer would probably buy an older android tablet that is more friendly. But I have this iPad mini going spare.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use a Web Interface, You can display it on anything that supports HTTP port 80.

The RTL SDR web server would need to be installed and running on another computer.

Have Fun.

W3PMK likes this.
  3. M6AGL

That doesn't sound very portable to me. I'm after more of a stand alone system. Like a portable radio with a waterfall display. Good to keep an eye on what is going on without getting fully set up, practice reading morse and for checking for any harmonics, tests etc.

Some progress with the dead android today. The tiny charger socket is U/S, and the 18650 battery bank I've used instead of the standard 3.7v LiPo internal and dead battery, seems to be suffering volts drop to about 3.3v - which the tablet doesn't like. I'm using standard cables used in RC cars, but will go to a heavier version for this I think.

4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use SDR# (SDR Sharp) on an Android tablet with a dongle. I think there is an "I" version.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

How do run SDR# on Android? Maybe a silly question because I know nothing about Android but I can't find any "I" version. https://airspy.com/download

I have found this about running an old unsupported version on Linux using Mono. https://rtlsdr.org/softwarelinux

I'm running SDR# quite successfully on Windows 10 in VirtualBox on Linux.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you need a RPi to do It.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/ipad/

I use a RPi3 and V3 RTL SDR, It works fine.

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The "I" would be for the Apple stuff. SDR# is in the PlayStore. I know I had to fiddle with it to get it to run.
    I'll look to see whet flavor and support apps I have.

8. M6AGL

Thanks for the update and running a Pi seems to work, but at the moment what you get is less than SDR#. I see that it is possible, just the result on an Ipad will be inferior to that on an android device. At least at the moment until someone writes a better version I suppose.
    It would also seem possible to integrate an SDR receiver and an intermediary processor more dedicated than a Pi just to talk to an Ipad and make it one unit. Just at the moment seems awkward.

I think on the basis of this I will push ahead trying to get the android version running on a larger battery pack. I have a small carry case big enough for it, some headphones, various antennas and charger etc. The idea being I can just flip it open, string out antenna and tune around.

Just out of interest the tablet is a "Flytouch superpad". Old and clonky - it even has an ethernet socket, but cheap for the size of display you get. Just the charging socket is stupidly minute.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

10. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

For my dongles on Android I use either SDRTouch or RF Analyzer. You also need to install the rtl-sdr driver. All works fine with an OTG cable.

regards, Roy