ad: k1jek

RT 66 OTA Starts Saturday, Sept 12th

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NF7E, Sep 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great horny toads! I threw in the towel, went down to 80m to sulk and goof off and found E!

Now all I need is A,B,D,F,J & S

2. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have B, F, H, K, M, O, and P on CW. Hopefully, other stations will drag out their keys.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Down to 3 to go! D, F and J!!!!!

4. WA6MHZ

Just barely got F, now it's JUST D and J

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  5. K8SQB

Picked up B on 80m and did the double with C on 80 as well.

I saw J on 80 earlier, but couldn't get a good signal. There's still a few days yet and I'll be working from home the rest of the week, which helps ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  6. K8RC

K8RC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning!

Q is a problem. Are they even on the air?

They aren't even spotted on the DX clusters. (ONE spot in the last 16 hours)

It's CHICAGO. W6Q is a club (Six Meter Club of Chicago). They should have more than one operator on the air.

And how about an old retired guy like me for duty during the day?

7. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having the same problem with U. He was on 40 SSB late last night but no copy here in NJ. Should be a slam dunk if it were in the afternoon. Sure wish there was more CW.

8. WA6MHZ

Seeing alotta EU and Far East stations working Rt66. They are tickled to work just ONE (which is all that is needed) for a cert. Here stateside, we need to go for the SWEEP! There's been a couple years where I got skunked on 1 or 2! But I really envy the ops getting to put this on and 13 Colonies. Some of the pileups are as roaring as if it were a P5 station they were calling!! IT's GREAT TO BE DX, even if you are stateside. The only chance I had at it was during the W1AW/6 a few years back. Then I got great pileups!! Now I can RARELY even get a CQ answered. NO ONE in the world NEEDS CALIFORNIA, except during the Route 66 event!

I am pushing for a CLONE ROUTE 80 event. That goes between San Diego and South Carolina. I am at the top of the hill overlooking Route 80, and there are plenty of ops in the San Diego DX Club who would love to help out.
    I can't do the certs as my POS printer doesn't do color. Need a good color laser for it. I heartily applaud the valiant ops, and workers who do the after contest chores! In this case it is the CITRUS BELT ARC W6JBT in San Bernadino! They are in for a WHOLE WHEELBARROW full of cert requests. I always get the Decal too. My rear window is just about out of space for Route 66 Decals!

9. K8SQB

I usually dread working Chicago, lots of weak signals and incomplete QSOs, but I was able to pick U up on 20m as my 7th station. I think they will be on this weekend. Some of the stations seem to be taking a break.

10. K8SQB

How about doing an El Camino Real route? I'm up for that. Pick a mission to operate.

WA6MHZ likes this.
  11. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm up for that, I even know of a ghost town I could operate from.
    The best would be "Lincoln Highway" (old U.S. Hwy. 30), the
    first trans-continental highway.
    Dedicated in 1913, it starts in Times Square, and ends in Lincoln
    Park, San Francisco.
    As a child, we would drive down Seedling Mile Road, which was the
    first mile to be paved. The paving used was red brick "cobblestones".
    Modern IH-80 follows much of it's route quite closely.

12. WA6MHZ

Mission San Diego de Acala (or however that is spelled) is on the Hill above Interstate 8 and I-15. I am about 10 miles East of there. Would that still count? How close do you have to be?

13. WA6MHZ

In pain here listenning to everone on the East Coast working W6D. (on 14306). No hope whatsoever of working them on 20 meters. Only chance is if they go to 80 or 40 during the daytime. No afterdark paths are possible, I don't know why W6J is so hard. That SHOULD be easy on 40 about sundown or on 20 during the day. But nope, notta peep! Not even on FT8! Running out of time fast! My life is put on hold until this concludes! I wonder if the ops KNOW how much this means to us out here?

Have a Crest Community Assn meeting tonight at 6. When I get back, I am sure I will find they were on calling CQ CALIFORNIA all evening long.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. K8SQB

I think that would be as close as you think is necessary. That Kansas station for Rt66 seems a bit off the beaten path.

15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Route 66 go through the southeast corner of Kansas for less than 10 miles

K8SQB likes this.