RSP1A on Android Help

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC0DSU, Mar 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC0DSU

KC0DSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently discovered that it's possible to use my Rsp1a with my android phone and had some questions. I understand that I need an OTG adapter, does that require a compatible cord as well (OTG cord)? Or with the adapter can I use the same cord I use to connect it to my PC? I have a USB-C type port on my phone, can anyone recommend a type C to A OTG adapter with a connector for external power as well as an appropriate cord to go with it? I see a few type C OTG adapters on Amazon but none with an additional port for external power. My other question is regarding drivers. The articles I read led me to believe that the drivers may not be mature enough yet to be real functional, is that still the case or was that old news? If there is any other advice or suggestions you'd like to offer on getting SDR on android up and going I'm all ears and much appreciative. BTW, I have a LG V30+ and I have rooted it if that helps with offering advice. Thanks.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for a adapter that is made for a Android tablet, It will let you charge and has a data port.

Or you can connect a USB hub that passes power from 1 port to another.

3. KC0DSU

Do you think you could post some examples of something that would work? This here is as close as I could find on Amazon, would this work ya think...

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Head...1&keywords=usb+c+otg+y+adapter&qid=1585325729

or this...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapt...s=usb+c+otg+y+adapter&qid=1585326559&sr=8-116

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 4:31 PM
  4. KA9JLM

I would go with this one. It even lists your model number. If you buy from Amazon and it don't work, You can return it free of charge. :)

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B07PY87TBD

As Bob Barker would say, The price is right. :cool:

upload_2020-3-27_12-7-23.png

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 5:09 PM
  5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I know getting the SDRPlay products to work on a linux machine are hard enough.... I can't imagine it will be easy on the android port. Please let us know how it goes as I am interested, as well.

6. KA9JLM

Very true.

May be easier using a RPi3 or 4 running Linux and then tethering to the phone.

I do think the Android is a can do. I have done a lot with Android tablets, That have enough memory and CPU.

I hope a progress report is posted here.

7. KC0DSU

SDR is a totally new area of exploration for me, I can't believe I didn't find out about it until a few months ago. And didn't get one until a week ago. But then again I put ham radio and hobbies away for quite a few years while building a life for myself and now that I have more money and some time, well at least in the winter time, I'm getting back in to it again. I do like to tinker a lot, I especially like gadget's I can interface with my computer and my phone and an SDR offers a whole lot of opportunity for tinkering. OTG stuff is also something I've never used so I'm wondering if I get one of those adapters like the one you recommend if I need a special OTG cord as well, wired differently than a standard USB cord? I rooted my phone and I know I can run an actual Linux distro on it, I did that with Kali Linux in order to pen test my PC and network. So I wonder if I could do like a lite install of Ubuntu on it and run some SDR software that way, that seems like a bit much though. I'd just like to try it on android right now and also try it out on Linux in a virtual machine on the PC so I can run OP25 and GNU Radio, I know GNU Radio is available on Windows now but sounds like it's more mature and complete on Linux. You mentioned the RPi, I didn't think about tethering it to the phone but did think about using it as a standalone setup for the SDR. I was thinking about getting an RPi or one of the alternative boards and make a low profile custom enclosure for it and purchase one of those 7" touch screens for it and install a touch screen friendly version of Linux on it or even the Android for PI Rom. So far since I got my SDR last Saturday I have figured out how to get it working with DSD+ Fastlane to decode the statewide P25 system and local DMR and MotoTrbo traffic, I have set it up to decode ADS-b and ACARS to view aircraft data messages and traffic, I have linked SdrUno with WSJT-X to decode FT-8 and other digital modes, I have been able to decode SSTV, weather fax, been able to decode transmissions from Low Power Devices in the neighborhood...wireless key fobs, my neighbors Davis weather station, and what I believe to be sensors in his smart home generator. And I've got so much more stuff I want to try. These little things are amazing so I'm definitely going to give it a go on Android. And I will post updates for sure. Thanks for the input everybody. Keep me posted if you have or find any more useful info.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 2:28 AM
  8. KC0DSU

The more I look at that Ugreen USB hub and read thru it's specs the more pessimistic I get that it will be what I need to make this work. First of all I'm always leary about items who's description uses poor grammer and bad English. And then it says that the micro usb port cannot be used for charging phones or laptops but only for power hungry devices like HDD's & SDD's. And I'm not sure that I could connect a power brick to any of the other ports and it be wired correctly to allow it to feed that power to attached devices. And right now I'm leary about ordering anything off Amazon because recently the last two things I ordered from them took three weeks to get here and one of them was the wrong item and had to be sent back because all this corona chaos is making a mess of everything.

9. KA9JLM

You should not need any special cables.

You just plug the hub into your phone and plug in your phone charger for power.

Then you have 4 USB3 ports that are backward compatible.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM
  10. KA9JLM

I agree. One description is written for many devices.

It does look like power is Micro USB.

I would have to buy one for test to be sure how it works.

In my experience, A tablet is much Bigger and Better than a phone for this use.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020 at 1:47 PM