RSP1 vs. RSP1A

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KH6CT, Dec 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

A one user opinion. YMMV

The bottom line, before I get to the bottom, is: Buy the best you can afford. That said, the application is also a factor. Why over spend?

I have, what turned out to be an eBay clone of the RSP1, the MSI.SDR. I had an RSP1A. I have an AirSpy HF+ Dual Port. Canada Post is 'sitting on' my AirSpy HF+ Discovery. I have a bunch of RTL-SDR sticks, both no names and RTL-SDR Blog and NooElec versions. I had 2 or 3 different SoftRocks as well.

Within the assumed price range, my choices are:

From a value point of view, I think the RSP1A is the best one.

From a performance point of view, I think the AirSpy HF+ is the best one.

If money is not an issue, check the ELAD FDM-S3.

DNEPRRIDER likes this.
  2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clarify, the older Airspy HF+ dual port unit is approx $200, but the newer unit, the Airspy HF+ Discovery, is $169 and is the unit you want. There are significant improvements in the Discovery.

regards, Roy

3. W0MPM

W0MPM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An old, but not ancient thread. So revive with a 'gotcha' I just ran into. (My) Airspy HF+ stops at 30MHz. Doesn't cover 6 meters! The Discovery I think is the same. Wonder about the RSP DX?

4. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went from the RSP to the RSPdx and it’s a very nice improvement. The better preselectors, the dual antenna ports. All around performs better. The Duo gives you two full receivers for simultaneous receive on separate antennas and diversity capability too. I like it a lot and Simons progress with SDR Console means you have that as an option in addition to SDRUno.

It’s by far the best bang for the buck.