RSP1 vs. RSP1A

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KH6CT, Dec 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KH6CT

KH6CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thinking of upgrading my old RSP1 to a RSP1A. If anyone has used both, could you provide comments on the performance of the newer model over the old. Just using the RSP as a panadapter with SDRConsole V3. So, is it worth the hundred bucks ??

Thanks in advance,

Steve KH6CT

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve I do not own either model from SDRPlay but I do own a SDRPlay RSP2Pro and an Airspy HF+.

If you are willing to spend $100 to upgrade the SDR you have now I would highly recommend you reconsider the Airspy HF+ as it out perform SDRPlay by a significant margin if your interest lies in the HF bands up to 70 cm. Especially 30 Mhz and lower down to 10 Khz VLF. Just has a larger and better ADC yielding better dynamic range and sensitivity, plus the HF Pre-Selector. Only thing the SDR is better at is wider bandwidth and up to 1 Ghz. So unless you listen in on 800 and 900 Mhz bands, the Airspy is a superior product IMHO. None of those annoying L.O. birdies SDR is famous for. You still get two antenna ports, one for HF, and the other for everything else.

I have my Airspy set up with two antennas today. A Loop on Grass for HF and a discone for all other frequencies. I pretty much use the Airspy as my TX even when I am using my HF rig to talk on. The receiver is that good. Rarely do I need to use my dipoles and HF rig to RX. In fact when conditions get really noisy on HF, the Loop on Grass antenna out performs the dipoles. Now when conditions are good. of course the dipole can pull in weaker signals, but good conditions are rare today.

Think about it before you pull the trigger. Do some homework and check reviews.

DNEPRRIDER, N1NA and VE7BPB like this.
  3. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

On HF, I find the RSP1A to be less susceptible to overloading from AM band and quieter than the RSP1. That's anecdotal, I know, but I run them side by side daily on a daily basis. I found it worth it, and I now have 3 x RSP1A.

WD9EWK likes this.
  4. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, specifically the Airspy HF+ Discovery is without doubt the best of the lower cost SDR receivers for HF use. It would be ideal as a panadapter.

regards, Roy

N6YWU likes this.
  5. KF5LJW

SDR is known for the overload, thus poor dynamic gain. I understand the new SDRplay models have improved overload characteristics. However when put into perspective, they just suck less than the previous model and still do compare to other models of similar price like the Airspy.

When I first bought my Airspy and SDRPlay RSP2pro I owned a Kenwood TS 590SG, and the Airspy RX is just about as good as the Kenwood. SDRPlay did not even come close.

OTOH I could really careless what you use as I do not have any skin in the game. Just giving folks options to look at and consider to make better informed decisions so you do no tend up with a Nancy or Harry.

6. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Airspy suggestion; I was actually looking for an upgrade to my RSP1....

Also the whole 'polyphase mixing' thing is a bit disappointing. I thought that I'd invented it a couple of years ago :)

7. KH6CT

KH6CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Solid information from everyone. Looks like it all boils down to a performance vs. price issue; normally the case.

73, Steve KH6CT

8. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

What is disappointing about the polyphase mixer?

73, Peter - HB9PJT

9. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I thought that I'd invented it. I think that it is a great idea, but others got there first :)

-Jon

W2VW likes this.
  10. KF5LJW

Of course Steve, you get what you pay for. About an $80 to $90 difference.

Airspy HF+ = roughly $200
    SDRPlay RSP1A = $120

Price wise percentage is high @ 40%, but performance wise there is no comparison. An Airspy can literally be your RX and Panadaptor. If you go with the SDR, keep the RF Gain as low as you can so you have at least a chance of getting a clean signal.

Good luck to you.