ad: M2Ant-1

RSGB changes Foundation license exam assessment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. Actually I have learnt that the real trick is to refine the receive capability rather than anything else . Once you can hear at a distance you can then start refining the ability to be heard. I am finding that end fed antennas help a lot in both cases. 73

2E0NYH likes this.
  2. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WELL SAID, you are spot on there. Not just stateside either. Also, what is the point of running STUPID power levels when us honest operators can never get back to them. I have however had some really spectacular contacts 59+ with 100-watts and non-resonant wire and the other station in 1-kw with a fancy YAGI and only 57 back to me.... love it!!!

I honestly believe that 20-metres and 40-metres are so full of noise thanks to all the excessive power signals bouncing around with no place to go; a bit like the wake of a powerboat running up and down a loch after a highspeed run. Yachts do not produce any such wake as they move with the water and air. If 1-kw in needed on the ham-bands then the band is closed!! A fit like a fart!! If you have to force it, it is going to be sh*te!! Think plaese 1-kw+ club!! You are not making your own propagation, you are polluting the bands!!

M7BLC likes this.
  3. M6JKU

M6JKU Ham Member QRZ Page

It is offensive to label all foundation license holders in this way. I often make contact with Russia, USA and Canada on a genuine 10 watts, QRP operators in my opinion are more skilled operator's than full license holders who as we all know have a majority of operators running 1KW plus, These are the clowns who need policing. My station can be inspected any time I do not even have a radio capable of outputting more than 20 Watts and 5 watts is my usual output, never has there being a hobby with such class snobbery remember your license allows you to use the bands not own them.

G8FXC and 2E0NYH like this.
  4. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

There's many MM6's and 2M0's around here that you well above their legal power limits!

I used to run 10W PEP when I was a MM6, 50W PEP when I was 2M0. I now run just under 400W PEP , even though my amplifiers can do much more. Firstly, I want to stay within my licensing conditions, secondly - have you seen the unit price of electricity recently?:eek:

5. M7BLC

During Foundation training it was made very clear in the official book and by the trainers that effective output power had to be adjusted according to the gain of the antenna and that the use of high gain antennas would require power reductions accordingly. I wonder how many UK hams - or worldwide if they have a similar requirement ?- take note of this stipulation ?

M7CGA likes this.
  6. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally, I'm just using dipoles at the moment (except for a 5/8th vertical for 10m). In the UK, we're allowed to assume maximum legal limit at the antenna feed point (for the most part). That means technically, we can feed more power at the shack side to allow for feeder losses. I prefer the measure my power limit from the shack end and not the antenna feed point end, therefore I run under 400W PEP from the shack end and not the antenna feed point end.

Some countries have you measure it from the shack end, so mileages may vary significantly. You just have to follow the regulations that your country's regulator sets down.

K0UO and 2E0NYH like this.
  7. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

you are incorrect, except for the parts of the band plan where it is stated as ERP , the power limits are antenna feedpoint power limits...

8. 2E0ILE

2E0ILE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regardless of class of licence, foundation, intermediate, or full, power limits are unpolicable, so that statement calling the Uk licence a joke, is a typical comment you hear off of a lot of old timer hams, who thinks any class of licence below his isnt a real licence. As an M7 i can say i only use 10W, thats all i need to talk to the world, but often hear full licence holders state during thier dx'es that they are using 7-800W , its not an M7 thing. Im not holding out and hoping that i will be gifted a full licence like the G1, G6-G7-G8 class B licence holders were in 2003, im studying and learning and progressing eventually to my full licence which is what this hobby is about.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    M7BLC and G0DNV like this.
  9. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

As the only difference between an A & B licence was the morse i fail to see how it was gifted when it was removed from the licence. Yes the uk licence is a joke .There is no incentive to get further than novice/foundation .It was totally messed up when you stopped having to pay for it and offcom washed its hands and gave it to the dinosaurs at the RSGB. The only time your going to get your wrists slapped is when you interfere with the emergency services or the military . And yes i know some class A/full licencees run way above 400w as do half the ex clown band hams

10. M7BLC

To be fair I'm having far too much fun messing around with antennas and my set up to be bothered with what others are doing. I have over the past 10 months made enormous strides in my set up and continue to do so all completely within the parameters of my Foundation licence. Voice only on SSB I am learning enough and at a pace to keep me happy for months and years before I reach the boundaries of what can be done. My advice to any new ham - don't be in a rush to go up the grades. You can learn plenty at the basic level just by experimentation and trial and error. You may end up a better ham when you do decide to progress. 73 and good DX'ing.

GM4JPZ and K0UO like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Read his statement/ it says varies by the part of the world that you're regulated in. The rules are different worldwide and even the service used it.
    73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

12. 2E0NYH

i think you may need to do some reading

13. M7CCI

M7CCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree that the licenceable frequencies need better policing. We have lost great repeaters due to IQ0's.
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that as there's no licence fee OFCOM have no resources to monitor or take the required action but I for one would be only too happy to pay a fee to improve the situation. Fortunately I haven't witnessed anyone in my area using excessive power on a Foundation licence.
    I personally have too many good friends on air and would not disrespect them or the hobby by basically acting like a clown.

14. 2E0NYH

where i nthe case of some of the repeaters lost the IQ0 in question is apparently the keeper of adjcent repeaters ...

15. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please read the Foundation Licence Parameters page of your exam booklet! All bands are 10-watts PEP except 135.7kHz to 137.8kHz which is 1-watt e.r.p. and 430MHz to 432MHz at 10-watts e.r.p. When it is e.r.p. you need to compensate for the antenna gain to ensure no more than 10-watts (10 dBW) are radiated. When it is 10-watts PEP then you can send 10-watts up to the antenna and let the gain do what it does. I use an antenna with 6.8dBd gain on 2-metres so with a 10-watt feed it will radiate near as makes no difference 50-watts. Anyone who says you must compensate for antenna gain when working within a part of the band plan stipulating PEP should NOT be training or advising anyone. You only adjust for emitted radiated power limits only!!

Under the common assumptions made by those setting the standards for the new EMF assessments have shown that 6.8-watts equates to 10-watts emitted isotropic radiated power. This also means all foundation licensees must assess their antennas that operate 2-metres and 70-cm by 18th November 2021.

Please do not get caught out by people who do not understand the band plan. Did they inform you of the frequencies to keep clear? i.e. the emergency frequencies or those allocated to the RSGB news service (GB2RS) every Sunday?

I am only mentioning these two pointers as it would seem you have been taught things that are totally wrong unless you are working in the LF portion of the band or the first 2MHz part of 70cm.

Keep reading and hopefully we will see you reach your M0 in the not too distant future.

2E0NYH likes this.