ad: Amateur-1

RSGB changes Foundation license exam assessment

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Oct 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. M0NYW

M0NYW Ham Member QRZ Page

I took the foundation licence back in 2002. The big restriction back then was not being allowed to use 10M (see link, page 9 band plan ) 175-759 RA BR68/F (rsgb.org) as RSGB or RA had concerns that foundation licence holders might use CB amplifiers on there.

What a oversight! As I knew a few local foundation licences holders were using the full power on what radio they had at the time anyway and weren't afraid to say it either.

One of the main reasons I progressed through the licences was to be allowed access to 10M and use my licence abroad and I still believe the foundation should of been 28Mhz, 6M, 2M & 70Cms as a starting point which would encourage progression.

Many people are visual learners and the practical element sure assists those who require it and gives you that "foundation" knowledge.

G0ORG and M1WML like this.
  2. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same as those clowns on 1933 who "pretend" they aren't using anything above the legal limit...one openly brags about his AMP....because :- (add the 2 red highlights above & below)

G5TM, M0TTQ, MW7OFS and 1 other person like this.
  3. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

4. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if they actually realise the max power on 1933kHz is 32-WATTS? Current UK band plan is 1850kHz to 2000kHz is secondary user 32W (15dBW) maximum.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  5. MM0JNL

MM0JNL Ham Member QRZ Page

It IS policeable if enough decent and consciousness licensed operators give these power-jackers enough grief and guidance. It IS a self regulating hobby after all and this will continue as long as people sit back and do nowt!! A huge amount of QRM on the popular bands comes from the spurious signals bouncing about the planet from excessive QRO.

Remember the FOUR kind of people....

1: MAKES THINGS HAPPEN
    2: WATCHES THINGS HAPPEN
    3: WONDES WHAT THE **** HAPPENED
    4: DO NOT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT ANYONE

WHICH ONE ARE YOU!!???

Those who do not step up and do something are no.2 and are responsible for the no.3's getting all confused. No.1 will get things fixed and no.4 will break everything, whilst no.2 sits and moans but does nothing to help and poor no.3 is left sucking their thumb.

We can all fix this by collectively pulling no.4 into line, they think they're big and clever... they are ignorant and selfish, which spoils things for everyone else!!

I'm not an advocate of QRP working, but come on guys and galls, stick to your legal power limit.

For final, there is way more in the restrictions at every UK license level than just the power levels and 60m for full licensees; go read up on it. I know as I have just gone through the mill to get here. The recently scrapped "practical" assessment was the joke. If you get into ham radio and cannot set up a simple 10W 2-metre station by the time you take the foundation exam there is truly something amiss. We have a massive community of willing and supportive operators (unless you are a no.2) who can guide you.

MM0XXW, M1WML and G8DCJ like this.
  6. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the route getting sued, even though we all know some people who do it! Just like the guy's with MM6/2M0 and MM0 who all sit on 27.555 MHz SSB, with widebanded HF rigs and amps...

MM0XXW and M1WML like this.
  7. MM0IMC

MM0IMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that Imperial or Metric Watts?:p

M1WML likes this.
  8. EA7KNW

EA7KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

TPC should be hammered home as the Sane thing to do.
    (Transmission Power Control)
    If you got 1.5kW, use it when you Need it, not all the time like a Power Junkie.

e.g. local groups chatting do not need one Giga-Power Junkie station blowing everyone's speakers apart

AA5BK, M1WML and MM0JNL like this.
  9. EA7KNW

EA7KNW Ham Member QRZ Page

i assume everyone knows anyway, but will say it just in case :
    If you can control the power going In to your PA, that changes the Power coming Out,
    ... so if you can, reduce your TX power from your ICOM7300 or whatever and the Air-Damage you're blasting out will also be reduced.

MM0XXW, M1WML and MM0JNL like this.
  10. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

you factually incorrect ref band limits
    you are both a liar and being defamtory with your assertions regarding people sticking to their licence terms

M1WML and MM0JNL like this.