ad: Schulman-1

RS-HFIQ 5 Watt HF SDR Transceiver by HobbyPCB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, those are expensive (because they are "max legal" amps) - a lot to pay for only 150W output. Also, I have to wonder how linear they are with only 5W input, since the manual says they expect much more. Have you measured harmonic distortion? Also, a factor of 40 would be above the FCC gain limit (roughly a factor of 30). Are you sure you're getting 400W out with only 10W in?

2. HC6PE

HC6PE Ham Member QRZ Page

nope. I have it running via Quisk installed on a Raspbian, Raspberry Pi3 /Pi4, not a big issue.
    72 de HC6PE

AB2YC likes this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Please take a look at page three, where the link to the SDR Software is listed. When the SDR runs with the typical Linux software, its ok. But in the begin of this thread and in the video, everybody just talked about the Windows solution.

4. F5NPV

F5NPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HC6PE and AA5BK like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is that going to 100 watts from 5 watts is not limited by FCC rules, for an amplifier.

13dB< 15 dB.

What W3PX said is perfectly correct.

6. NS8C

NS8C Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my main transceiver for HF. It needs a decent soundcard like those used in home studios, like Behringer or M-Audio. The cheap consumer ones have a one-sample (or subsample) delay which causes imaging problems which vary randomly with each powerup. Some SDR software has corrective measures for it but it's not worth the trouble, just get a better audio interface.

The output is fairly clean. There's a DC+hum transmitted some 50-60dB down at the center when keyed up which might be trouble when using a linear amp at the end. I don't like the unbalanced 1/8" TRS IQ input/output. Would have preferred at least RCA or two pairs of balanced 1/4" TRS or XLR. It has isolation transformers anyway, balanced could have been a simple add.

This is a good radio if you want to design+build your own system, have some familiarity with SDR and look forward to spending a few months perfecting and tweaking it, ironing out the bugs, possibly writing some code. It can be fairly challenging compared to the traditional set-top stuff.

The case is unimpressive. The front and rear bezels are basically PCBs, the outer shell is your standard extruded aluminum. The board makes good contact with the case through its heatsink such that the case becomes an extension of the heatsink so that's pretty nice.

It's helpful to have a realtime analyzer with a little antenna on it to make sure you're transmitting properly because IQ inputs mean an imaging risk. I have a TinySA on and watch it like a speedometer while I TX.

When in linux, I found it working best when using hamlib (compile the latest) and quisk (compile the latest) and pulseaudio. Quisk looks a lot better once the color scheme is changed in the settings. I use a Behringer UMC202HD in 48khz mode. The UMC** are rock-solid in terms of channel sync, and good up to about 45k, after which it's spur-city, so it'd be best to keep the sample rate at or below 96khz. The UMC and RS-HFIQ feed into a rapsberry pi 3, hamlib, accessed over network, and pulseaudio, also accessed over network, using the plugins: load-module module-native-protocol-tcp, update-sink-proplist (to make them easier to read), module-tunnel-sink, module-tunnel-source. It was a bugger getting pulseaudio to start from systemd and be usable but it's possible. When things change,` pulseaudio -k` command cleans a lot of things up.

The firmware should be updated once you get it. Unfortunately they don't include a software tool for that so you have to use arduino software. The old firmware has an issue where it might not put a signal out when keyed outside of PowerSDR.

I've worked FT4/8 with some overseas contacts, WSPR transmits and receives fine, and some FreeDV, all within its 5W range. Still figuring out how to get the power output meter working over USB onto hamlib then onto quisk.

UT7UX likes this.