Routine coax from a mag mount

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by M7JDJ, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. M7JDJ

M7JDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I’m trying to route coax from my mag through my car door (Nissan Qashqai). I had the coax hanging and closing the door over it previously, but noticed that in the side of the door it seems to pinch a bit (see attached photo), however even the top of the door pinches a little.

Just wondering what the ‘normal’ thing to do is? I don’t want to drill any holes in this car so that’s not an option.

Thanks,
    James

Attached Files:

2. GM0GTU

GM0GTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Pull the rubber door seal away where you want the coax. to pass-through, then file a semi-circular slot in the lip that the seal fits on to. Lay the coax through the slot you just made, and re-fit the door seal. It would be a good idea to make sure there are no sharp edges where the cable passes through, and wrap some PVC electrical tape around the coax. where it touches the slot to protect the jacket from abrasion. Fit a rubber/plastic grommet in the slot if there is room.

M7JDJ likes this.
  3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Over time, expect your coax to have a shortened life, impedance bumps, water seepage into your car, and damaged paintwork.

The "normal thing to do" is drill a hole appropriate to your antenna mount, resulting in a properly sealed mount and chassis earthed efficient antenna. There is no substitute or workaround that will match or exceed the results or performance of that method. If vehicle resale is a concern, rest assured at trade-in the dealer will not care, or probably even notice the rubber plug in the hole.

KA0HCP, AG6QR and W9WQA like this.
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

the magmount and coax is "consumable" anyway, degrades over time. modern car doors don't seem to crush the coax so bad. I figure it's easily replaced, a lot easier than damage and leaks from drilling holes.

Diamond makes several trunk lip / rear hatch lip / gutter clamp NMO mounts,. with RG172 tiny coax. Lossy yeah but it's only running a few feet...

5. AI7PM

"damage and leaks" You seem not to be familiar with the NMO mount and it's proper installation. In 30 years I've never had one leak or come back to me with a leak.

"..rear hatch...gutter clamp....tiny coax...Lossy". Well,.....I guess substandard is acceptable to some operators.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

How's the resale value of your vehicles? What kind of operating are you doing that requires that last 0.2dB?

Actually I know quite a lot about NMO installation. I don't have to toot my horn about everything in every post.

I merely presented one alternative. Sorry you didn't like it. Horses for courses. Good enough is good enough sometimes. Never let perfect stand in the way. My $0.02 plus inflation.

M7JDJ likes this.
  7. AI7PM

No resale or trade in affect at all. There's more to it than 0.2dB, but if one wants to settle for good enough, and what comes with it, their choice.

Cheers

8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i found that "sometime' laying the coax in parallel with opening, starting maybe at a corner avoids quik multiple bends. need to tape in place.
    at right angles you get "the bends"
    obviously a center mount is best. when i sell a car its usually to the junk man anyway...!