Route 66 OTA Sept 11 thru Sept 19th

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by NF7E, Sep 10, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM4OZ

KM4OZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is my first try with this, and sad to say, I have to agree that that the handful of really slow ops, while certainly nice hams having fun, make it not really a viable "thing" going forward. (and I AM up to 15 or 16) I might get a few of the QSL cards for the wall, but certainly wouldn't think of it as reasonable effort to go for a clean sweep like say, 13 Colonies or LMS, which were do-able (except for that QRP station in NY...:) )
    maybe some re-vamping is in order since the intention is good?

"I for one am happy to see that people are willing to give up their free time to promote the hobby."- Honestly I just think of them using that free time to participate in the hobby, especially the rag chewers. No hard feelings, it just doesn't work out that great for a lot of us in the current structure.

W7UUU and KR3DX like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I remember one year (2015?) where some guy had the audacity to take out one of the W6* Special Event call signs before the "official" station applied for that letter. Therefore, he wasn't sanctioned because "he wasn't supposed to do that". So all during the event, internet posts were raging that "W6* isn't a legitimate station in RT66!! DO NOT WORK HIM". They had warnings on the RT66 site that working W6* wouldn't count etc. etc. etc. But he just kept on keeping on - working zillions of stations as W6* in Missouri (as I recall) - a 100% legitimate ham who indeed lived along the old Route 66, using a 100% legitimate 1x1 call sign that he applied for and was granted. The angst from the "officials" was palpable.

At the time I thought it was all actually kinda funny :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KR3DX likes this.
  3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

We are now halfway through the event and there is one W6* station that I haven't heard or seen spotted AT ALL. Not once. There have been comments on the spotting cluster (which is NOT the place for it) and elsewhere about them being "unobtanium" once again. Sounds like that callsign should be a prime candidate for someone else to "appropriate" and make it an active entity next year.

W1VKE, KM4OZ and W7UUU like this.
  4. K6WDE

K6WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your POSITIVE comment from a small 100 watt and a wire W6C station! (Dave, K6WDE)

PS Tomorrow, Thursday, September 16th, W6C will be active /portable from the historic and iconic Wigwam Motel in Rialto, CA ON ROUTE 66! Come find us from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm [17:00 - 21:00 UTC] PDT on 20 and 40 meters!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    N1KX, KR3DX and WD5GWY like this.
  5. KR3DX

I'm listening to one of the operators now, he took 5 minutes (!) to work one station. Rag-chewed with the guy while dozens of other stations are trying to work him. Gives his name and neighborhood location with almost every contact, and gives the time he logs the contact as if nobody else has a clock in their station. Refers frequently to the pile-up but pretends they aren't there. Calls for a partial call, then before he completes the QSO he abandons it and takes another callsign that some lid butted in with. VERY poor operator.

6. K6WDE

K6WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Breaking NEWS! Please see the CBARC page, w6jbt.org, credit will be given for W6F. (Dave, K6WDE)

N8MRB and KR3DX like this.
  7. KR3DX

I believe that CBARC did the right thing. Hopefully, W6F will be active in future years. W6V has been on the air a lot on many different bands and modes to make Kingman, AZ available. They deserve a lot of credit and our gratitude. Thank you to the folks who are operating W6V.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    N8MRB likes this.
  8. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

According to the message they will be on Wed. through Sun. As of Thurs. morning still a no show. Wonder what kind of problems would keep an entire radio club from having even one operator from getting on the air.

KR3DX likes this.
  9. N1KX

N1KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad about W6F. I am happy they made a concession that W6F has been absent for most (if not all) of the event period, but I think it might have been more fair simply to give credit for W6V, since Vicki has been on the air quite a bit, including virtually all day Monday 9/13. Either way, I hope they are able in the next 12 months to work out something that will ensure W6F can be active and available next year and each successive year, within reasonable parameters, just as the other volunteer stations are.

This is a great event. I first discovered it in 2012 after resuming "normal ops" after an 8 year hiatus due to a work related move and career transition activities. I missed it a couple of times since then, also for work related issues, but I look forward to it every year. This and the 13 Colonies event are my favorite "local" events after Field Day.

The ops who are working this event have my sincere thanks for putting the event on and working with rabid fans like me and unusual Stateside pileups. It is fun, and even those of us who don't jump in here to say it really appreciate your efforts! Thank you!

K8TE, KE4DIS and KR3DX like this.
  10. KO4CQ

KO4CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just shut down at 11am edt. Could not hear a single W6 station on 7.066, 7.266, 14.066 or 14.266 from GA. I know band conditions aren’t all that great, but I was hearing other stations. My wire ant does favor north-south, but I’ve easily worked W6R in St. Louis. He is the only W6 I’ve heard.