ad: vanity

Roundtable on 3885 KC Now

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Apr 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuned in but only heard a few stations. I think Paul was in there too.

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The SoundCloud feed is nice. Conditions were better in the city but now I'm feeling the pull towards country living (with enough space to put up real antennas and be away from the noise). :) The big tree in my yard that had the 80m loop came down a few years back during Sandy. :(

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I love the Theramin picture! Those things take more practice to get good at then anyone would believe.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The web SDR should come in handy when mentally defectives try to jam the frequency and you can find a receiver somewhere with better reception. Or you can cheat if reception is poor and you find one near the transmitting station.

http://websdr.org/

KD2ACO and KA0HCP like this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed!
    QSL via the buro

And yes, webSDR.org is a good addition to the globaltuners.com resource for the operational reasons Don points out above. I like the self-contained recording archive of globaltuners, where it assigns a postable URL to each recording you make and set to "public." The webSDR recording function only provides a downloadable audio file, that you then have to move in an upload somewhere to then post.

Other comparisons. I find the directory of receivers almost useless on webSDR, and have to scroll down a lengthy list to find active receivers on the website's map that could be used in the target receive region. I guess once I settle on a couple of receivers, I can just bookmark to a toolbar those sites. Globaltuners has a condensed, abbreviated list that can be seen almost in a glance, where webSDR has a lot more clutter to get through as you review the list of nodes.

There's no problem with a node being in use on webSDR since muliple users can independently utilize a node. That's cool stuff! Globaltuners can be shared among multiple users on a given node, but they all have to listen to the same thing. I also like the chat box and community of users available on Globaltuners. The webSDR site is much more self-directed since there's no crossover among users commenting on what's being heard.

KC8VWM and KA4KOE like this.
  8. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

websdr.org rocks. I enjoy listening to the UK AM guys after midnight around 3.615 AM when the activity dies down here in the USA. They have to contend with a huge digital transmission on their LSB but the versatility of the SDR allows you to grab the bandpass and slide it to whatever combination of lsb/usb you want. Very handy and it does not seem to suffer any audio fidelity loss in doing so. This trick is handy for any interference that may be on either side of the carrier from nearby SSB or otherwise.

Here east of the Rockies, the N4dkd http://n4dkd.asuscomm.com:8901/ is my favorite. The UK receiver I enjoy most is in Cheshire http://hackgreensdr.org:8901/