Rotator part needed

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K6DDX, Dec 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

099A64FE-F621-4C4C-BF09-B2B1EB5102FB.gif
    Potentiometer Assy., approx. 500 ohm resistance.
    This is the best and latest version that Hy-Gain has made.
    Took them 5 tries (design/build) to get it right !
    Limited availability. aka RPM-1.
    (Prev. PN was 51460-10.)
    http://www.rotor-parts.com/catalogu...g/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=41
    Craig has moved his business to Kentucky.
    Open 10 am to 4 pm Mon - Fri
    Closed Weekends & Holidays

C.A.T.S.
    75 Pleasant Church Rd.
    Mt. Sherman, KY 42764
    Telephone: 1-270-325-2287
    e-Mail address: sales@rotor-parts.com

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. K6DDX

K6DDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a reply, and he wants the same price as the factory, $40. I think I will pass; it's far more than it's worth. I almost made a sub for it; I am looking into ways of doing it. Not rocket science, and I am not comfortable overpaying.

Thanks to all for your help.

73, Bob

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Craig buys that part from MFJ ...
    since MFJ purchased rotator product line from HyGain/Telex in Lincoln, NE.

Overpaying?
    American designed & mfg. antenna rotator — originally in 1950s (Bell-shaped CDE HAM-2).
    This part has been updated for modern production materials (no Bakelite), as noted by Craig — it took five (5) prototypes to “get it right”.
    No “global market” for cheap Eastern Asian mfg. and this specific part is not used in other volume marketplaces (automotive, marine, consumer appliance) to reduce costs.

Minimum wage for unskilled US labor now $15/hour ....
    I am betting your DIY fabrication & material costs are higher.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    KD2ACO likes this.
  4. K6DDX

I don't want to start an argument. I just feel that $40 is too high. I have fabricated my own pot, almost done, and it should be every bit as good as original. Plus I have the pleasure of doing the work. I am neither lazy nor stupid, and enjoy ham radio at many levels.

Sure I can throw money at a project but that isn't my way. Since working on rotators is relatively new to me, I have learned a lot and now consider myself a bit of an expert, having refurbished several so far, each with different problems. When I am done with my antenna reconstructions in a couple of weeks I will have about four rotators that I will put up for sale. After all, this is a hobby not a business, at least for me.

73, Bob

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob,
    Great. No argument, just stating the reality for commercial endeavors in 2019.
    Practical education framework, from that 20th century era, is largely gone.

Considering it took Martin Jue’s team multiple attempts for this part production (repeatable, reliable build for resale), you are ahead of the curve.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  6. K6DDX

I think perhaps so. But the job isn't done and it requires care and the right materials. Whether I succeed or not is less important than my willingness to try. I love this kind of project!

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you should post pictures of what you did so others may do the same.

I never even thought about trying to homebrew that variable resistor, it's pretty custom. Back in "the old days" when CDE manufactured these, that 500 Ohm pot cost $9...but that was also a really long time ago (like 40+ years), and at that time a HAM-M rotator cost $149.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. The pot in my CDR TR-44 (built in 1963) is still working. The only failure has been the motor capacitor (a coupla times).

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I did wear out the 500 Ohm variable resistor in an old HAM-III years ago and had to replace it.

I loved saying to others, "Well, I smoked the pot.":)

10. K6DDX

I have decided that I need a bit of help with this pot project. I have a couple of friends who have volunteered. I am not interested in claiming all the credit and I admit my expertise is limited, so someone with a steadier hand than mine and an appreciation of the requirements is welcome to help. I don't want to bother with taking pictures although maybe I'll photograph the result if it's successful. Basically I have it working fine electrically but need to cement the resistance element to the substrate while still allowing the wiper to make reliable contact. Once that's done, the unit should be ready for test and then reassembly. Of course if there is someone out there with a broken rotator beyond reasonable repair, but that still has a good pot, I would have an interest in buying it.