Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he meant PL.

We are truly fortunate that we have you here to police the forums as the ultimate defender of all things good and no-code.

2. KE7JFA

KE7JFA Ham Member QRZ Page

Dude, you want activity on VHF FM, Build yourself an IRLP node and get into a linked repeater system.
    Constant non-stop chat worldwide!

IRLP is da bomb.

3. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Frank,

Thanks for the response and you have a valid point. It is not my practice and please note that my first response to him was not derogatory.

In fact, it appeared to me AD5MB was doing the teasing, which is a reasonable assumption given what the experienced guys said is commonplace. And other experienced members said they interpreted his comment that way as well.

And how would you suggest someone could make a personality judgment and decline to reply to my call based on a call sign and standard greeting? I think that is an unfair thing for you to say and it is not very encouraging.

If anything this has encouraged me to determine what is really going in with the repeater situation. I'll make contacts and see how the radio is truly performing. If no human contact is made, I'll set up the second radio with a separate antenna, and use it for a monitor.

And, before someone mentions this, I am aware of the precautions necessary and methods available to prevent audio feedback in such a configuration. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  4. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Great idea. Thanks!

5. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

More good help. Danke Schön!

6. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Ironic that instead of being out there working the new ham equipment, I'm spending time here on the pc and the forum.

See you guys in a few days. I'll be getting familiar with my new radios and the local hams the old fashioned way. At first it might take a phone call or two, or even an email or two to someone I know personally. But I'll get it working.

7. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Thanks, I'll be listening for your call sign on the airwaves. Hope to make contact with you someday.

Larry - KE5TCG

8. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't let the pedestrian nature of VHF fm from discouraging you from pursuing the CW DX interest, add to that the "hobby within a hobby" of homebrew, especially if you already have access to an electronics lab (it sounds like you do). Working the world with a homemade rig is satisfying stuff.

Have fun, good luck, may the smell of burnt components and solder smoke fill your nostrils for many years to come.

73 m/4

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

But this has nothing to do with code/no code. Other than the new op expressing an interest in CW, which is admirable, I don't think code or CW has even been mentioned.

Yes, it might have been a typo. Or it might have been someone trying to razz a newcomer. We don't know.

The simple fact is that there is such a thing as PLL, and it is used in HR. Used a lot, in fact, and contained in the radio that the original post was about.

A person with electronics knowledge may know quite well what a PLL is, but have no idea of what PL is, since that is a registered trademark, and really not correct to use, unless you actually DO have a Motorola radio. It must be "what is this guy talking about?" when some people saw that. PLL tones? Come on. You guys can do better than that.

Joe

10. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

going back

Back to the original question. We know the tones are right. So I won't saddle that horse again.

1. Procedures. Listen and be sure you are doing what the others do. If you hear some one saying "K5xxx listening," wait and see if anyone replies to him. Probably not. That wasn't true at one time, but today that call just doesn't work. Try what Glen said. "Anyone around on the repeater for a quick contact? This is K5xxx" In other words, English.

2. If a linked system, remember when you bring up the repeater it may take 1 to 3 seconds for the links to establish. You can say "K5xxx listening" and not one word of it goes on the air, as the repeater hasn't started transmitting yet. So press the PTT button, pause one second, then start talking.

3. Listen to the content of the contact you want to get into. If you hear them saying, "Bill, I gotta get out of here, the dog's tail is caught in the lawn mower," you know he isn't going to stick around to chat with you. Find someone else, don't even bother to call this guy. Another time, maybe.

4. If he sounds really gruff, find someone who sounds a bit more pleasant. There are some folks you just don't want to talk to out there, and they probably don't want to talk to you, either.

The ham adage is, "Listen, listen, listen." You can know how to rebulld a complete cellular system before breakfast, but may not know amateur radio procedure from donkey manure. Listening will cure that, and it won't take a long time, either.

Don't get on the air with the "I got one question for you guys, but I already know everything else there is to know" attitude. Best not to do that on the Zed, either, or in the local club meeting. That "If you'll tell me this one thing, it will complete my encylopedia of ham radio" approach is going to draw small arms fire, and maybe even missile attacks. Not saying you did that. Just saying don't do that.

Welcome, and I wish you well. Of course, the best way to figure out if there is a technical problem is to have another ham (call him on the phone, send him an email, whatever) listen for you, and report back to you. That's how we all did it.

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.