Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

La vraie preuve n'est pas dans le pudding, c'est dans l'essence!:)

2. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

Im a real newbie to ham as I just got my ticket . Maybe I am wrong but on my local repeaters I can transmit but if the power isnt high enough with my transmit then the audio generally doesnt get through . I also found upgrading to a "bigger" antenna made things much better.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

More pounds is always better.

4. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful ...you're getting dangerously close to those 11 meter TERMS..lol:D

5. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

:D Good one.

I just don't understand the paradigm. I posted a valid question with all the necessary information. Someone tossed me a red herring, meaningless question, and I tried to respond in kind. Then the moderator chastised me for not taking the question seriously. And away it went. The atmosphere in the forum is very unlike the atmosphere among the local hams I've met. Here they, or at least the ones I've met, are kind, knowledgeable and respectful.

But I did get some good answers and information I did not have before.
    1.) The VHF repeaters get quiet a lot.
    2.) Good suggestions on what to say were made.
    3.) VHF FM is not where the real ham action is.

Thanks.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the ZED!

You will find that you have to sort the wheat from the chaff. A lot of people here have no clue of what they're talking about. Keep that in mind.

Steve is one of the good guys, respect his authority and you'll be OK. ;)

#3 is the problem. There are some repeaters that may be active, especially during drive time. There may be some linked repeaters in your area, and those may have more activity.

Remember, the ZED is NOT HR. First rule of the ZED: Don't take anything here too seriously. If you have a sacred cow, it may be turned into hamburger.

Joe

7. WB2WIK

::Comrade: Хороший из Вас, чтобы сказать, что, но здесь мы являемся всеми братьями!

WB2WIK/6

8. WB2WIK

Oder: Sie können ein Pferd führen zu bewässern aber Sie können ihn wählt nicht machen!:p

9. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

OK, I can live with that. :cool:

Which one is Steve? Is he one who was pretty decent, and who posted the legitimate repeater comments and whom I insulted in my frustrated haste? :eek: I edited that comment and deleted the slam within a minute or so after I submitted it, realizing it was just tacky frustration on my part (note the reason for edit was "thought twice") But alas, it was too late and the original text showed up in his response. Long day, long week, no excuse. I used to have more class than that. No excuse.

Or was Steve someone else? :D

10. KE5KZX

KE5KZX Ham Member QRZ Page

"Dude" Alert

"Dude" seems to be a term of endearment used by CBers trying to break into amateur radio....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.