ad: w5yi

Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

>OK, knowledge: Check
    30 years professional experience: Check.

Consider this. If I can rouse the repeater, wouldn't you say that the CTCSS tone is not an issue?>

::probably not. But maybe. Many repeaters, including three of the ones I own and operate, will "key up" without any CTCSS tone at all, but to sustain the repeater for voice communications beyond about 300mS, they require the tone to be there at sufficient modulation index (~3) or the repeater won't remain keyed.

WB2WIK/6

2. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Maybe, but I've also met some pretty informed hams who could teach me a thing or two. That's what I'd hoped and expected to find in this forum.

3. WB2WIK

::You'll find them not only here but mostly on the air, and mostly on HF or VHF weak signal regions (not necessarily VHF-FM).

I see you just recently received your ticket: Congratulations! I got mine at age 13, 42 years ago, and after 42 years in ham radio and 8 years of engineering education, I have a lot left to learn, thankfully. If not, it would be very boring.

WB2WIK/6

4. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

The proof is in the pudding. 73.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. WB2WIK

::Why not? It's perfectly legal, and in my case, everybody knows. Nothing to hide, there. In fact, hundreds of repeaters all over the country are set up like this intentionally.

WB2WIK/6

6. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

thanks. have a nice evening.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he will learn something.

Open repeaters used to abound, it's only been the last couple of decades that people have gone to PL. Still a lot of open ones left, though.

Joe

8. WB2WIK

::Somehow, I doubt it.

9. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Thanks for the input.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What was it Meatloaf said? Something like:

"You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach
    You'll never drill for oil on a city street
    I know you're looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks
    But there ain't no Coupe de Ville hiding at the bottom of a cracker jack box"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.