Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8PPD

KC8PPD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, man, call it retro or old school as you'd like (I'm pretending to be mean here). With USB only, you're not going to cut through QRN/QRM like a hot knife through butter, especially during low sunspot cycle like now. And don't forget the SMS vs. CW race in Jay Leno's TV show (which you can find in utube).

Looks like you're on the right track by picking up CW. Congrats and welcome!

2. K5END

K5END Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spent an evening with the Yaesu FT101B. I haven't checked the transmitter or even tested the tubes yet, so I just listened to USB on 20, 40 and 80 meters, stations from Florida to Palm Springs sounded almost as loud as the XYL nagging in my ear about who knows what. Never did hear anything on the CW setting.

The FT-101B audio is good. The rig needs a little TLC.

But, clearly, I appreciate the new stuff a lot better now. I've been using a Yeasu FT-100D as a base unit. I figure I'll live longer, and perhaps others will live longer too, if I get a lot more familiar with all the ins and outs before going mobile in Houston traffic, so this is the base for a while.

Coddling boat anchors justs adds one more variable to the equation, and there is just too much for this newbie to learn at this point. Don't want to overload myself and make it more like work than a diligent hobby.

Who won the SMS CW race? I've heard some pretty fast code on 160 and 80, and would bet that even the fastest-thumbed teens would have have trouble keeping that pace. Would I have won or lost that bet?

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. K5END

OMG, not this dead horse again.:eek: :D Here we gooooooo...

What we witnessed there was a frustrated newbie (me) being somewhat paranoid that AD5MB was tossing a newbie (me) a bit of bait.

In retrospect, I see that he wasn't. IIRC however, I think I mentioned the CTCSS in the original post.

Let us never speak of this again. LOL. :D

4. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Rude behavior on repeaters

You may just be unfortunate enough to live in an area where there are some snobbish repeater users... it happens. If they dont know you, they probably wont answer. Some areas even put up closed private repeaters!

I agree with the reply of another on here. 2 Meters is not a great way to get into ham radio, unless you are doing weak signal mode, 2 meter ssb down around 144.200. Weak signal mode is a ball, especially with various e-skip, aurora, and meteor scatter modes of contact. I have 22 states confirmed on 2 meter ssb.

It might help to attend a repeater club meeting and introduce yourself.

5. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, AD5MB is very misunderstood here. He actually DID mean PLL, which stands for a new mode called Private Lossless Line. Although this mode is not yet well known, it will no doubt take the world by storm. It was developed by IcoYaesWoodOrolo and the CIA's venture capital fund. It converts the incoming analog signal to digital at the earliest possible stage and then, using the internet, relays that signal to all routers connected to the internet. Most people don't realize that every router that has ever been built includes some heretofore unannounced monitoring circuitry that senses transmitted RF and sends a log of each subsequent transmission to the NSA for storage. As a result, each router knows whether or not it lives in a Ham home. The ones that do, upon receiving the digitized repeater transmission, convert the message back to analog form and retransmit it. Therefore, the signal will always be available to all hams and will always be full quieting. This new system is called "BS STar". Once you are using this Private Lossless Line system you are generally considered to have been "BS STar-ed".

:)
    Mike

6. K8WPJ

K8WPJ Banned QRZ Page

CAlling CQ on a repeater?

I thought that was frowned upon in most circles... If not, it's a sure way to broadcast to the world that you don't have a clue what you are doing on the air...

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  7. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is very common to use "CQ" when connecting to a repeater through IRLP.

8. K5END

LMAO :D Well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.