Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Hi, thanks for the response. I have a Yaesu FT100D and need an antenna to get wired for HF. I was thinking of the ATAS-120A, but need to do some more research on that antenna. I'm a little rusty on the Morse code, but learned it early, in the Cub Scouts, and at one time, Boy Scouts, 35 years ago, was pretty fair with it. I have the practice software...just need time to sit at the computer and practice taking down code. Hey...I'm sitting at the computer now.... haha. :rolleyes:

2. W7LPN

W7LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Club meetings!

Make some friends at the club meeting and then you'll have folks to talk to because they'll know who you are, and have a face in mind. We've had a neebie here in Boise calling CQ repeatedly on the repeater and most people are hessitant to jump in there and do some Elmer-ing. Good luck :eek:

3. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Follow up

Hey, gang. Just wanted to follow up with the results of this question. I haven't had a lot of time to surf the forum for a while.I've been on the air on HF and VHF, have bought three more antennas and two transceivers since my last post. And..I passed element 4. I've joined a local ham club, the ARRL, and am brushing up on the morse code I learned so many years ago with the best intentions.

Anyway, the purpose of the follow up: I did find out that there was no technical problem at all with my hitting the 2-meter repeaters. I made a few contacts and had great signal reports, and meet on a weekly rag chew on two meters (and another on ten meters.) In fact, that repeater is on the other side of downtown Houston, about 23 miles as the crow flies. With my Yagi I can hit it with 1/2 watt with an ICOM V8 feeding the coax about 70 feet to the Yagi feedpoint a "few feet" off the ground. So, I'm pleased.

The problem was as I had originally believed, and tried to make clear in the original post. I just had to hit the right repeater with the right social circle, so to speak.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Around here, most of the repeaters (2m, 440, etc) are dead about 22 hours a day.

The no-code Tech deal a few years back didn't make it any busier either.

5. KF0X

KF0X Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

D-Star is absolutely the way to go. D-Star is the future of repeaters. Analog will still be out there for some time to come. But, if you want to talk to people enthusiastic and eager to use repeaters, go D-Star. It is far superior technology compared to analog and has some absolutely wonderful features.

You will see replies to my post that slam D-Star. These are simply people living in the past and refuse to acknowledge D-Star (against their predictions) has caught fire and is here to stay, ICOM-haters or those that think there is a conspiracy by ICOM to forever monopolize D-Star. I am on a net right now on D-Star with over 300 participants.

D-Star is where it is at on repeaters!

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  6. K5END

K5END Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, KF0X.

I was the original post as KE5TCG. Lots has happened since then, and it has been a real blast. I got involved in local groups, found out which repeaters actually have anyone on the freq's, put up a G5RV as a starter antenna at my QTH (in Texas,) talked to Napa Valley 20-meter USB phone. Then I put the G5RV a little higher and leveled out the poles a little better, then talked to the South Pacific that same day, and WHAT A RUSH!! I chalk it up to beginner's luck. :D But I am now seriously hooked. Plus my skin grew a little thicker (if not callouses and scars:)) for navigating the forum.:rolleyes:

D-Star sounds it would be a lot of fun, and I would encourage it very much for anyone interested in it. The broader ones horizons, the better.

But for me personally it's way too similar to my day job. So, for the purposes of a "hobby" I want to go "retro" or "old school" HF on CW. I've listened to the ARRL practice broadcasts and am OK at 5 WPM. I want to get a lot faster at receiving before ever keying up on CW.

7. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

I would encourage you to reconsider this. I found it a lot easier, more interesting, and faster to just dive in and talk to whoever will talk to you on CW. Yes, it will be frustrating and you will miss a lot in some of the qsos. But just do it and hang in there and your speed will go up quickly. Most CW ops are courteous and will slow down (QRS) if asked. You just have to leave your ego behind and keep doing your best and the speed will come. I've had qsos that left me red faced with embarassement because my code was so rusty and I missed things and answered the wrong question etc. But a day later, everything is forgotten. Contests can be a good way to improve your code speed too. Lots of action fast. You just can't let yourself take the contest seriously - at least at first. You will find yourself listening to the same guy over and over and over until you get his call. That's ok, and the exchanges are usually short and sweet so you don't have to send all that much.

Sounds like you've got things cooking pretty well. I love that you are going at it in a "retro" way. My reaction to working as a professional electrical engineer was much the same as yours. I lost interest in ham radio for many years and then came back. But the last thing I wanted from a hobby was more of what I did during the day, so I went for boatanchors, cw, etc. Once I got to the point where I just did business - nothing technical - and then quit working entirely, my interest in electronics returned and I've gotten more of a kick out of some of the more technical aspects of the hobby since then.

Glad you're enjoying it! And I hope to cu on the air sometime.

Mike WY6K

8. K5END

K5END Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be looking for you...but so far 40 meters is the lowest I can go, and no WARC band antennas at my QTH, yet.

Man, so much for being original.:( "One in a million and there are 6,000 just like you." :)

Eerie.My career work and the interests in ham radio are nearly identical to what you described. And I just bought a qualified boat anchor, I think... It's a Yaesu FT-101B. I'm not a PE EE per se. Just a dumb old physics guy in microwave telecom design.

Seriously, the thing that fascinates me the most is HF antenna design. No paraboloidal antennas allowed. :eek:

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

PL vs PLL

If ad5mb fatfingered PL into PLL he never edited a correction.
    PL=CTCSS....PLL = determines the RF operating freq:confused:

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom sales ?

Well said Mr. Icom salesman !
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.