Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Believe it or not only one of those is anywhere near my location, and the VEC where I took elements 2 & 3 last month were members of that club. I'll be at their next meeting and join...if they will have me. ;)

AND THANKS for taking the time to get that list together and send it! :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve:

Most of those clubs are not within at least 200 miles and several are over 300 miles away from him!

TCG:

I forgot to mention that I like your Arcturus Blue avatar. I have several Arcturus Blue tubes as part of my antique/vintage radio collection.

Glen, K9STH

3. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Wanna sell any? (didn't think so.) :rolleyes:

4. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

That (the distances) is why I need to get rigged up for HF!

5. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

this thread may last a long time.

the current topic is southern-style chicken fried octopus, imported from lake michigan.

we'll be swapping recipes on the local 2-meter repeaters tonight.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::Get on HF and we'll swap a lot of recipes (no joke). I have friends on the air who are gourmet chefs and come up with great stuff. One is my neighbor Dave WA6DKN who does great stuff with fish, lamb and poultry and gives recipe details on the air. Edwin KD5ZLB in Louisiana does, too.

Making me hungry now...:p

7. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

AB8MA is looking for octopus recipes, but I think he likes them served on ice?
    :cool:

8. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yepper, that would be the one, you will notice that the answered did not come from me.

When it comes to ham radio stuff and a whole lot of other things STH and several others here have forgotten a lot more than I will ever be likely to learn.

I do have a mind boggling amount of stuff between my ears but little of it is what anyone would call real knowledge.

Its just information {sometimes faulty information} upon occasion when I call a bit of it forth and I or someone else can actually use it, then it becomes knowledge.

I have a fair amount of practical experience as far as doing things, I have a nice framed motto from one of the places I used to work it goes:

“I have done so much with so little I am now qualified to do anything with nothing.”

9. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

Well, people with your talent are the ones who make the world go round, metaphorically, and that is something to be very proud of.

I'm headed off for vacation for a while, so you forum-ites try to play nice!!(88) :D
    PS. I'll be taking element 4 when I get back. Wish me luck.

KE5TCG

10. KA7PLE

KA7PLE Ham Member QRZ Page

Try different Bands/Modes

Good Day and congrats on passing the tests. My recommendation for your dilemma is; if you can afford it, get yourself an HF rig of some sort and try the HF bands. There are lots of contacts to be made there from all over the world. I run QRP into an end fed Random-length wire up about 20ft. I am able to make lots of contacts all over the Americas. A simple dipole or inverted V dipole is a simple antenna that performs well. If you really feel you like HF, learn the morse code and then you will double or triple your contacts. Don't limit your self to just VHF/UHF FM. There are lots of different modes and tons of available space on the HF bands. I'm sure you will find a mode and band you like the best. There are many facets to this wonderful hobby. Explore them and have fun with it. Ive been a ham for 25 yrs, and I can't get enough of it.

Good luck to you and I wish you the best.

73 de ka7ple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.