Rookie General is Confused

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5TCG, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI6NNO

KI6NNO Ham Member QRZ Page

That or I don't know when to stop posting. ;)
    Y'all know what I meant. :cool:

73, Dave

2. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you have been taking notes.

There are some well informed people here.

As with any internet forum you should have had on your rhino hide flame resistant suit when you entered.

There are certain posters here that you really don’t want to provide any ammunition for because they will take most any bobble on your part and take pot shots at you.

You are fortunate that a certain sixlander seems to no longer be around, he would just tell you in a rather nasty way to RDFM! Then probably suggest you shred your license and agle off to CB land.

Be grateful for that.

As far as your regret about posting in haste, this is why I almost always type my blurb in my word processor. It helps me avoid misspelled words. It used to make grammar suggestions but I have dehonkeled that feature.

By using my word processor I also have a chance to proof read what I am trying to say and many times allows me the time needed to rethink what I was really trying to say and even many times just delete the whole diatribe.

I mean, if when I’m rereading it, and it sounds a bit off even to me I simply don’t post it.

Besides sometimes it makes the folks who ticked you off even more enraged when you don’t post right away. Sometimes its fun to sit back and watch them thrash on the rocks. {figuratively of course}

Now, as far as being the new guy on the repeater/s don’t take it personally. When first I upgraded to tech plus I regularly talked to a good family friend and sometimes several others on simplex. We had some darn good meaningful QSO’s.

You know, solving all the countries problems and saving the universe, at reasonable rates, sort of thing.

As time passed and I started getting on our local machine, sometimes there might be a half dozen folks all talking about some inane topic or other until I would toss my call into the fray.

Most of the time they would all suddenly remember that they had other more important things that they really should have been doing.

Now, I take baths on a semi regular basis, brush my teeth and hair, even wash behind my ears, change clothes now and then, always thought I was a fairly personable person yet they did not seem to want to talk to me. So, naturally when that would happen I would get discouraged and feel alienated.

Enough time has passed now that I am accepted as an OF on the local machine. People {non hams} in town sometimes call me on the phone to ask why they can’t hear the repeater when it is down.

As with most things in life there will be change. Try to go with it. {but you already know that}

P.S. never enrage STH {I’ve seen a few folks try it and it ain’t pretty.}

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Fortunately, it does take quite a "bit" to get me really upset!

Glen, K9STH

4. K4AMT

K4AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a bit OT, but in reading through the boards in general, this observation could apply to this particular thread, too.

Hams, on the air, are known for their professionalism and courtesy. I've not yet been chewed out or run up the flag pole while on the air. If there are dissenting views, most hams simply leave it at that and politely go on. Why then can't we expect the same thing here on the zed? Why should our manners deteriorate just because we're on a web forum/bulletin board? I know the smileys that we use never really come off as well as we intended. But I dare say that if hams in general talked to each other on their radios with the same tone as they do on web boards, they'd likely find themselves in trouble.

(Stepping into flame resistant suit and crawling back to my newbie/lurking corner...)

:)

73's,
    Rick
    KI4VYV

5. KA9VQF

The vast majority on this board will bend over backwards to help new folks there are however a few ogres here as with any other place where people likeminded or not gather.

You learn which are which and avoid the ‘bad’ ones as much as you can.

Sometimes one will latch on to you and follow you from thread to thread hounding you, most times not. I’ve even seen a few times where they will follow someone to completely different boards and continue to harass someone.

I have figuratively been run up the flag pole when on 75 meters a few times. Once there was a discussion going on on a topic that I was knowledgeable about and I offered an answer the group did not know.

The right answer as it turned out.

One of the group looked up my call, saw that I had just upgraded to general, called me a no code general and suddenly none of the group would talk to me, they talked about me for a spell but totally ignored me otherwise.

That was when I discovered that my VFO did indeed work and also the little switch on the lower right hand part of my 820 has a position marked OFF that works quite well sometimes instead of spitting sparks at the lowlifes who were doing their best to belittle me.

This is where your rhino hide flame proof suit comes in.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I didn't read through the entire thread, but IMHO probably the *worst* place to learn about ham radio is on 2 meters. Like others said, 20 years ago it was hopping. No longer.

Get on HF, listen then listen some more. The best way to learn how to become a great operator is to listen to others. Then when you are tired of it, listen some more.

............Bob

7. KE5TCG

KE5TCG QRZ Member

I set the type below in bold merely to differentiate my comments from those contributed by the other member.

As with any internet forum you should have had on your rhino hide flame resistant suit when you entered.

There are certain posters here that you really don’t want to provide any ammunition for because they will take most any bobble on your part and take pot shots at you.

You are fortunate that a certain sixlander seems to no longer be around, he would just tell you in a rather nasty way to RDFM! Then probably suggest you shred your license and agle off to CB land.

I came to the forum simply looking for answers to questions on procedure and on-the-air etiquette. Your statement above suggests neither etiquette nor respect are of paramount importance in the forum.

I rarely do internet forums because of the very things you've described. Similarly, last chatroom visit was in 1998. Most (not all) are a waste of time. Every ham I've ever met face to face was very, very polite and helpful. My assumption that QRZ would be more like real ham operators and less like common internet drivel was an error. A ham friend I know said yesterday that there are amateur operators, and "keyboard operators," and he said the latter can be found on the Zed forum.

Besides sometimes it makes the folks who ticked you off even more enraged when you don’t post right away. Sometimes its fun to sit back and watch them thrash on the rocks. {figuratively of course}

And this is "fun" for you? See my point?

I mean seriously, your signature is,
    "any tool is a weapon if you hold it right." Is that a healthy outlook?

Now, as far as being the new guy on the repeater/s don’t take it personally. When first I upgraded to tech plus

I don't take it personally. It is just that people taking "potshots" (your term) at anyone, vulnerable or not, is not what I call "living." What other people say about me is not my concern.

If a hobby is not enjoyable, I move on to something else.

P.S. never enrage STH {I’ve seen a few folks try it and it ain’t pretty.}

Why? Is he going to take my ticket? Is he going to take my rig?
    Is he going to go postal? When I log off here, STH does not exist in my paradigm. Is that his contribution to mankind, to manifest his arrogant rage by typing on a keyboard?
    Who cares about what any individual, including STH, types on a keyboard if it is not a valuable contribution? I don't.

I'm done here guys; this is my last post and last visit to this forum. It was educational.

I'll stick to making contacts with the real operators on the amateur bands, regardless of the wavelength. One good contact on my ham rig is worth more to me than 1,000 of these thread posts.

73 SK CL

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What he was implying is that when someone violates the "rules of the road" of QRZ.com that I can come down on that amateur. However, you haven't broken any of those that I have noticed.

I am the "Chief Forums Moderator" as defined by AA7BQ, the owner of this site.

I usually do NOT take any enforcement action unless someone uses profanity, obscenities, or starts calling another poster by some very uncomplimentary terms. Generally I am just "one of the boys" and you can generally tell that by my signature. However, when I add "One of the QRZ.com moderators" to my signature then I have had to "put on my moderator's hat" and then I do expect people to take note of what I post. Fortunately I can keep my hat off the vast majority of the time.

Most people will try to give you correct answers to your questions. Now if what that person offers is not correct, or if someone else disagrees, then that will definitely be expressed on this site. Some posters are not as "tactful" as others and you soon learn who those are. You also soon learn those persons who consistantly give the correct information and those that do not. Sometimes the person who is giving incorrect information doesn't know better and sometimes (fortunately not that often) the person is delibertly trying to mislead you. Also, there are a few persons who just like to make "off the cuff" remarks and you will soon learn who they are.

You do need to have a thick skin especially if you post in the "Rag Chew Central" or the "Political Junkie" forums. Those two forums were established to keep non-amateur radio topics from being posted in the other forums. The "rules of the road" are somewhat relaxed in those two forums (but still the no profanity, no obscenities, no personal attacks rules are enforced). Certain topics in those two forums can be a "bit brutal". However, the other forums are generally pretty mild.

It is very common here on QRZ.com to have a thread "hijacked". That is the topic can become quite different from what was originally discussed. This is just like many normal conversations. You might start off talking about some sports activity and eventually the topic might become a chili receipe.

Sometimes two or three topics might be going on in the same thread. Now there are a few persons who get upset when this happens. However, thread "hijacking" is just a normal thing on this site.

Glen, K9STH

9. KA9VQF

TCG,
    you have a PM

10. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Would appear that ... like the station who posted the "Legal Notice" .. either his way or the highway..!

Oh well ... life goes on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.